Phone bracket for DX8

Peter Clinch

I'm curious that you want to fit your phone to your Tx. Surely it will be a distraction if it rings while you are at a critical stage of flight? Also, the BMFA recommend that mobile phones should not be kept near a Tx as there is a chance of the phone's radio signal causing corruption of the computer side of today's Txs.

I assume you are using it as a telemetry link from the model. I suggest if you are flying with other I would seriously consider not doing it. Even if there were no issues you could get the blame for everything that goes wrong even if the phone was in aircraft mode No that not a pun.

There is a glider competition classes which involves racing round a triangular course set up "virtually" using GPS. The only way you can see the course is via sotware displaying it on the screen of a tablet or phone. Mounting the device on your Tx allows you to position it so you can see both the model and the screen while flying.

You can set the phone to flight mode so there are no risks of it ringing in flight, and callouts from the telemetry are lsitened to by stereo earpieces so annoy nobody. Stereo because the vario will sound in your left ear if you are drifting to the right of the course and vice versa - both ears means you are on the best line.

No idea if that is why the OP wants it, but it is not an unknown way of operating or getting telemetry. I don't see it's any different to receiving telemetry on your Tx alone.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 26/10/2020 10:49:45

Dick, I note that when I select Flight Mode on my phone it suppresses not just the phone but Bluetooth and WFi. If you haven't opened the map before you go to Flight Mode you see a blank screen. If you open the map first then you do see the map. If that's the case, then it would be just as effective to print the portion of map and draw lines on it for the task in hand - just like I used to do in full size gliding way before sat navs.

In Flight Mode how can the phone provide telemetry data?

Am I missing something?

Peter

Peter

Just checked on my phone and when I select Flight Mode ("Airplane Mode" on my phone) it does indeed turn off Bluetooth and WiFi, but I can turn those back on again and use them without turning on the cellular network again. However, the GPS course flying I have done using a friend's setup involved a usb connection between the phone and the GPS telemetry system, so not a problem either way.

Back to the OP - the GPS system flyers seem to have their Tx "Phone mounts" individually made using 3D printing, so it might be worth searching GPS flying, or even look on the multirotor forums as they sometimes do something similar.

Dick

Posted by Steve J on 26/10/2020 17:20:45:
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 26/10/2020 00:21:53:

Also, the BMFA recommend that mobile phones should not be kept near a Tx as there is a chance of the phone's radio signal causing corruption of the computer side of today's Txs.

I doubt if "there is a chance of the phone's radio signal causing corruption of the computer side of today's Txs". There may be be a chance of the 'phone signal corrupting early computer transmitters, but if you are using a transmitter that can't co-exist with mobile 'phones, wifi, bluetooth or the flyer next to you passing wind, maybe you should get a new transmitter. A few years ago I was a member of a club where the "'phones on the flightline" recommendation was broken all the time. I don't recall it causing any problems.

Steve J - best you pass your info to the BMFA with the request they update their guidance. I merely flagged up their guidance.

Posted by Dickw on 26/10/2020 12:10:05:

Peter

Just checked on my phone and when I select Flight Mode ("Airplane Mode" on my phone) it does indeed turn off Bluetooth and WiFi, but I can turn those back on again and use them without turning on the cellular network again. However, the GPS course flying I have done using a friend's setup involved a usb connection between the phone and the GPS telemetry system, so not a problem either way.

Dick

Wow, you're right! I can do that as well on my phone. Makes you wonder why mobile phone manufacturers imply that Flight Mode kills all electro-magnetic transmission and complies with airline requirements.