Frsky S8R firmware

Geoff S

I've had an unused S8R in my drawer for a year or two and today decided to get it out and give it a try as I need a receiver for the Flair SE5a I'm in the process of renovating.

The supplied instructions offered no details for binding but some presumably later ones I downloaded from Frsky did. I couldn't get it to bind on my Horus but managed it on my Taranis although it seemed sensitive as to which receiver number I selected for some reason.

After referring to a YouTube video I set it to D16 with channels 1 to 16 on the Taranis and got it to bind. I tried the samewith the Horus but with no luck.

I guessed that when I bought the receiver I was still using non-EU firmware - I've since updated everything to LBT/EU so I guessed my old Taranis still had pre-EU RF firmware and that was the reason for lack of binding.

I visited the Frsky web site and down loaded what appears to be the latest S6/8R firmware. There are 4 - 2 for international and 2 for LBT (there seems to be a special one for V tail configurations which don't interest me at present). The one I selected is S8R_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk and it's dated 24/06/2020. That didn't work at all on the Horus (I didn't try the Taranis)

I already had a copy of S6R_EU_201609.frk so I flashed my S8R with that and it binds with the Horus. I haven't tried setting it up as a stabilised system - just got it to bind.

What I would like to know is what is the correct frk file for an S8R using EU/LBT XJT RF module. I couldn't fimd one that works on the Frsky web site.

I was going to use it as a straight forward receiver in the SE5a but I've ordered another X8R, I would, however, like to know it's in a position to be used.in something..

Geoff

If S6R_EU_201609.frk in your receiver works with your Horus Tx, then the Horus must be using v1 firmware. If you wish to use v2 firmware in your receiver (e.g. S8R_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk) you first need to update your Tx firmware to v2. BUT, if you do that, you'll need to update all the receivers that work with that particular Tx to v2 as well.

I've been using an S8R with v2 firmware for a few weeks now, but not yet in stabilisation mode. I asked FrSky about the v-tail and non-v-tail versions of the v2 firmware, and can't remember the detail of the answer! But one thing I do remember is they recommend the v-tail version even if you don't need the v-tail features. IIRC the non-v-tail version is simpler if you're upgrading from v1 firmware, for it will retain the previous model settings and bind. The v-tail version update will lose your v1 settings so will need reconfiguring and re-binding.