How do I know this is not a scam ?

tigerman

Needs some help .I have been told that if I buy a model from Holland I pay the supplier the price minus the VAT .The VAT will be collected by the courier + a admin fee .Anyone done this yet and how do know it is not some scammer ringing you up claiming to be Fed Ex and ask for your credit detail to pay the VAT + the admin fee and getting scammed .What safe guard are in place to protect me from getting scammed .Not happy giving my credit card detail over the phone unless I am 100% sure it is Fed Ex and not a scammer phishing

Advert

First check is, did you order something that they claim to be delivering. If you can't remember ordering it, then it's probably a scam.

I haven't ordered post-BREXIT, but I have received orders in the past where I've had to pay duty and/or VAT, and the process usually starts off with a text or email message asking you to go to the carrier's web site and pay by credit card using a reference they've given you. If that's the case, don't use the link they give you, but navigate to their web site yourself.

I have to agree with Allan B. ALWAYS ignore any link sent to you (unless you absolutely know it is genuine) and go to the carriers website. The same applies to any link from an untrusted/unknown source, not just carriers.

I have had carriers turn up at my door asking for cash. This was genuine though as they not only had my parcel but ID as well. Had to go and get the cash before they would let me have the parcel. I think this has changed now, it is all on the websites.

Cheers,

Richard.

Posted by Richard Marklew 1 on 28/01/2021 08:57:06:

I have to agree with Allan B. ALWAYS ignore any link sent to you (unless you absolutely know it is genuine) and go to the carriers website. The same applies to any link from an untrusted/unknown source, not just carriers.

I have had carriers turn up at my door asking for cash. This was genuine though as they not only had my parcel but ID as well. Had to go and get the cash before they would let me have the parcel. I think this has changed now, it is all on the websites.

Cheers,

Richard.

Never pay cash at the door! He may have 'been' (for a very short time) a genuine courier with your parcel and valid ID but that's not to say he wasn't scamming you and others on his round with the same story!

Personally I'd have made a call first.