Setting up electric glider

I have just purchased a second hand glider that is fitted with a brushless motor and esc for a 3s lipo ,there is also a 500mah battery onboard with a switch on the fuz. i assume this is to power the rx and servos. Is this an OPTO set up and if so can some one help with info on how to set everything up on the rx.    cheers.

Advert

It may be an opto ESC...but not neccessarily - many folk choose to use seperate battery for the radio even though the ESC has its own BEC - in which case the BEC should be disconnected. The Rx setup is merely a case of ensuring that it has a power supply of 5v from "somewhere" be that an ESC BEC or a seperate battery or a juicy lemon ! This power can be via the RX throttle socket if using the ESC bec. If you use a seperate source, then ensure the balck wire and the signal wire ( orange or white ) of the RX plug is still plugged into the Tx as the ESC needs the throttle command signals.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys...

It might clean your soul Timbo, but it puts mine in a flat spin. I'm a complete beginner, you see. Thanks for your nice welcoming message in the "newby section" by the way.

I've printed-off several articles from this forum, trying to get myself "up to speed" with this strange hi-tech world of R/C circuitry and all its associated gobbledygook. And there's certainly a lot of good stuff in the forum. But oh, what an uphill struggle for the beginner! ESCs, BECs, OPTOs... where will it all end, and what does it all mean? There's surely a beginner's guide somewhere. If so, I've yet to find it.

My nearest modelling shop is a hundred miles away, and my nearest club is 40. Not that I'll allow distance to put me off. I've ordered a copy of "Building and Flying R/C Model Aircraft" by David Boddington... maybe that'll help.

Yours truly... a slightly frustrated learner thinking of setting up an E-glider.

Yes Bill I sympathise with you - I know it can be difficult to get to grips with it all, but you will. I suggest you just keep reading as much as poss, and dont be afraid to ask any questions at all. Remember, we all started somewhere and many of us have been learning for many years..... and are still learning every day. 

Remember also there are no stupid questions....but sometimes lots of stupid answers

Start off with something cheap and cheerful like the V trainer, buy a "Whattmeter" or similar and play around with a few different props to see effect it has on curent drawn and power produced etc.

I think "we" are working on putting a glossary together in the mag for electric flight gobbledygook, so keep watching.

Hi Timbo. It's the overall R/C receiver/servo system that interests me... namely how the various components fit together. Your recent illustration of a circuit by Ralph Yeats and Chris Ireland certainly helps, as does your "BECS & Regulators (Beginners)" guide. The problem is (for example) I've no idea what a Battery Elimination Circuit does, or where it appears in the design. All basic stuff really. I'm not expecting a reply to this post... you'll have many other calls on your time... but thanks again.

The BEC is simply a seperate regulator ( often linear rather the more the efficient switched mode ) built onto the same PCB of the Electronic Speed Controller. It merely supplies the voltage ( 5V usually ) to the radio gear via the plug which fits intothe throttle channel of the Rx. The other 2 wires on this plug are ground ( -ve ) and signal which the Rx uses to send throtlle commands to the ESC.

The use of the BEC "eliminates" the need to use a seperate battery to power the radio. HTH