PH 120 4stroke engine

Crash dummy

HELP REQUIRED!

Has anybody out there any experience of the Planet Hobby "PH120" 4 stroke engine?

I live in Germany and as my nearest model shop is 3 days travel by cow, i obtain my bits&pieces via the net. I normally deal with a firm in Austria and although they are pretty good, i would prefer a personal review!

Have you, or anyone you know used that engine? I would be most grateful for any info received.

Many Thanks,

John.

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hello viewers, one week later, 70 views, no replies. Perhaps some of you might recognise the engine in a picture. As i wrote last week i have to buy my stuff via the net as there is no local model shop where i live. I deal with a firm called Lindinger in Austria. Try looking at 4Stroke engines on their web site. Perhaps that may ring a bell or two. www.lindinger.at Thanks, John

Hi John,

I don't know for sure ,but it looks like a rebadged ASP or Magnum. Specs are the same in which case if it is, should be ok.

This is about the best picture I could find  http://www.petenplanes.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=28 

Hope that helps

Paul

Hello Paul, I pretty much guessed it was a revamped name. The picture on your link would pass in an identity parade! Lindinger were advertising these engines for months before they had any in stock. I was looking for a 120FS for my model Cessna and came accross that one. The fact that its about 150 euros cheaper than OS120 set alarm bells ringing in my head. Many thanks for your reply and opinion Paul. John

Hi John.....I've never heard of thePH120 but if as Paul suggests it is a rebadged ASP then I can vouch for these engines. They are excellent as are the equivalent SC models.

If you're used to buying over the net then why not buy from the UK.....Just Engines are my engine supplier of choice & I'm sure they would be more than happy to sell you an ASP120 & support you out in Germany....or you could go mad & buy the ASP180

Hi John . The picturelooks like the OS clones we are all used to. While they are not up to the quality of an OS they are very useable . I run an SC (same engine just badged up) in a black horse Ultimate and its a brilliant engine . Beware of any of these engines that seem to have poor compression. Even from new they can have virtually no compression  but will start with a starter ok , but will be well down on power . All the engines that I have been asked to sort with the low compression have distorted heads and the only cure is to replace the head. So if you engine has good compression it should give you a long useful life . I run mine on  17% fully synthetic  and 10% nitro > 20% oil is well over the top and reduces power . Good luck with it or if worried go the extra and buy an OS or even better a YS . The YS are supercharged and have superb  power output ,tick over and pick up however you pay the price as they are thirsty ,very thirsty and like 20% nitro . Good luck and Happy landings .

Many thanks to you both, Let me state my position here. I have only ever used 2 strokes. My model for next summer (which seems a million years away in Bavaria today) is a CMPro Cessna 182. This model is the 2.1 metre span version. The instructions quote a 120 as the typical 4stroke size. As ive written earlier i buy almost all of my stuff via the internet. It would be very easy to waste a couple of hundred euros on buying a duff engine, rather than pay the extra 150 for the OS. But, would i be chucking money away on the OS? I know and love OS engines, but i love my money more! I guess the simple answer is the old one "you pays your money and takes your choice". However, an informed choice based on information received from those who know more than i do seems the best option to me. Regards, John. Ps. Keep up the replies, its a long time until summer!

If my memory serves me (by no means guaranteed!!!) I think Andy Ellison reviewd the CMPro Cessna in RCM&E a few months ago. He used an SC160 four stroke twin & found it ideal (once he had fitted an onboard glow system to stop individual cylinders cutting out at idle).....ASP also do a 160 twin available from Just Engines....ASP & SC are pretty much identical engines....rumour has it they come out of the same factory!!!

I know what you mean about OS motors...I love OS & think they are some of the best engines available....do I own any?...no not now.....I accept that they are better but not so much better that I can justify the price premium they charge......mind you short arms & deep pockets has always been my problem....

I don't think there is such a thing as a duff engine these days....they are all pretty good. Its a bit like cars I suppose....there used to be some real lemons around but nowadays all cars are good.......some are still better than others though.....

Andy the thought of a petrol engine did briefly cross my mind for the same reason as you mentioned, but decided against it. Steve i know one or two people who would argue with your theory that all cars are good! Slightly off thread here, but still on OS Engines, i have a completely unused OS 40VRM boat engine. I dont think they even make that one now. Ive had it 15 years. Back to aero engines now. Clearly, the Cessna will fly quite happily on a .90 two stroke. I was considering a four stroke for two reasons. Firstly, ive never used one before and secondly i thought it might sound better in that model. No way will i get into twins and individual glow systems though.

I agree that a 4 stroke will be much better in this model...as for twins & remote glows I understand what you mean but its only by doing something different that we learn I suppose. 4 stroke are really good I think....they sound better & produce lots of usable power......I love them. That said you can't beat a 2 stroke for power & speed!!!!

As for all cars being good I mean good by design...there are obviously still some individual lemons around but no "bad" cars like we used to see in the 70's.....like the Hillman Avenger that simply wouldn't steer in a straight line....the Austin Allegro (nuff said) the Maxi with its 5-speed gearbox that had an unsupported (ie by an outer bearing) shaft so that it failed in a few thousand miles.....the Autin 1800 that rusted in the showrooms because BL stored the unpainted steel shells OUTSIDE!!!!!

I agree with your point about doing something different Steve. Using a 4 stroke (single) is different and expensive enough for me at the moment. Learning is good, providing i dont have to part with half of my limbs for it! Ive pretty much decided on a 120fs for the Cessna now. Much useful information has been posted on here for me over the last week or so. Keep it up fellas, all help is as always gratefully received.