Graupner Ultramat 16 Problem

Bridon

Hi,

I have a Graupner Ultramat 16 charger that is giving me problems when charging for the first time any Lipo battery. It was purchased before a house move so has been sitting sealed in its box and totally unused for a few years but is effectively brand new.

It charged a couple if Nimh battery packs last week perfectly.

Today, I am trying to charge, for the first time for me, a 2S 1000mah Lipo battery that has good balanced voltage in all cells.

Readings on my battery checker are 7.715v Cell 1= 3.857v Cell 2 =3.859v. So, setting  the charger to ‘Lipo Manual’ then I set the charge to 1amp (1C) and then I input the battery capacity (1000mah)…then I connected the balance lead…all good so far.

Finally, I connected the battery for charging and press the start button for 2 seconds and we’re away!

The display says ‘Balancer Con’ (so it sees it) then ‘BLC’ on the display then it moves on to CHG and I can see the charge start but 2-3 seconds later it stops and up pops ‘Error Contact Break’.

Ruled out the leads as it will charge a Nimh on the same leads with no bother, so eliminated that one. If I charge the Lipo with the Balance Connector not connected it will charge. (I did this for a few seconds just to see and no error message).

So, I am down to the Balance Connector or their leads. Made sure all are correctly connected and  tight but no difference…so  I went out and bought some electrical contact cleaner…sprayed all contact points let it all evaporate for a few minutes and no joy….the same error message ‘Error Contact Break’ pops up 2-3 seconds into the charge…have I missed something obvious or is my charger at fault?

Advert

contact break can be On the input too

Try another socket in the house

And check the charger has 13A fuse engaged fully, and cable is screwed down correctly

You are going to snigger and say it is a moulded sealed plug

So check the adapter fully

This needs continuity testing with a meter

Also to try On the field charge side on a good 12v battery

To prove the charger is ok

Imagine the charger is ok and there really is a contact break

The nimhs would not have been charged at 1A 

Now we have 1A going into a 1A battery which is a larger load

And the charger could be making an accurate statement

So do not rule out any cables as checked just yet

Edited by Denis Watkins

Thanks you so much Denis...checked all as suggested, then tried it on 12v DC and still the same. ? When I read your last part about the 1 amp into a Nimh and the same into the Lipo...the very thought that the Nimh charged ok but not the Lipo got me thinking. Looking at the charging lead i made up...it was 6 foot long!! ?

So, figuring this would maybe act as a resistance drop to the voltage, i set about and made another lead, this time only 12 inches long and the result....SUCCESS..!!!

I have learnt a lot today...mainly the hard way but at least I have cleaned all the contacts and couldn't see the wood for the trees until I read your post.

thanks again Denis...One Happy Bunny. ?