Receiver compatibilty with V2 RF Firmware on Horus

Geoff S

I've been playing with an S8R receiver I've had for some time and inadvertently updated the firmware to V2 in an attempt to get it to work properly (that's a whole other can of worms!).  Of course it wouldn't bind, so I flashed an earlier V1 and all was well.  It led me to consider updating my Horus RF firmware to V2 and changing my X6R and X8R receivers similarly.  However, I also have a few V8 and D8 receivers in various models which work perfectly (I particularly like the V8R4-II in small models needing only 4 channels (eg Riot).  Will they also need their firmware updating? Is it even possible?

I used to love Frsky radio gear but they seem to change and update/make obsolete so much now that I'm getting very disenamored lately and would hesitate to recommend it to a newcomer.  Still love OpenTX - just not Frsky so much, though my now obsolete X10 Horus  is great. 

Geoff

I am pretty sure that the V8R4-II is only D8 compatible.

The only way to continue to use it would be to add a module to the external bay.
The V8 and D8 by there very name are also only D8, again they would need a module.

Most if not all my smaller electric models are running D8. When they were bound to my Horus which was updated to V2 the module was the only option.

Now I have an X20, that also requires the use of a module.

Should you need a full size DJT module, I now find that I have a spare. If you want it, it is yours for £15.00 posted.
You could then update the TX to to V2 (which I personally would recommend) and use that with your X series RX in D16 and your V and D series with the external module.

1 hour ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

I am pretty sure that the V8R4-II is only D8 compatible.

The only way to continue to use it would be to add a module to the external bay.
The V8 and D8 by there very name are also only D8, again they would need a module.

Most if not all my smaller electric models are running D8. When they were bound to my Horus which was updated to V2 the module was the only option.

Now I have an X20, that also requires the use of a module.

Should you need a full size DJT module, I now find that I have a spare. If you want it, it is yours for £15.00 posted.
You could then update the TX to to V2 (which I personally would recommend) and use that with your X series RX in D16 and your V and D series with the external module.

I just checked!!!

My X12S which has been updated to V2 under OpenTX still allows me to select D8, just be sure to uncheck the D8(EU) box in companion when you download it.

• Like 1

Thanks, Kevin.  It's easy to flash receivers with Smart Ports (assuming they're accessible!) directly from the Horus transmitter but I didn't want to lose the use of my older, and simpler receivers.

Did everything need to rebound after the update to V2?

Geoff

D16 receivers will need to be re-bound, I think D8 (V8xx-II) receivers will not.

It is ACCESS capable transmitters/modules that no longer support D8 mode. For those who change to ACCESS, I've written firmware for D8 receivers (not V8xx-II) that changes them to D16. This firmware automatically detects the required protocol at bind time (V1/V2, FCC/EU-LBT).

Mike

• Like 2