Sanwa RD6000 Futaba FP-R118F

Hamish

Advert

Thanks a lot Alan

Have tried using  the Futaba Xtal in my Sanwa and all is OK.  Is this ok to mix and match or should the Sanwa only have Sanwa Xtals?

2nd Edit    It would appear that the recievers can take either Xtal but the transmitter needs same type ?

3rd Edit   I have three models.  Would it make sense to have them all on the same channel. (In addition I would have one set spare in case of a busy field)

Hamish - Point 1. Personally I don't think you should ever use a different manufacturers Crystal in the Transmitter. You say you have put a Futaba in Sanwa and it works. How do you know that? Have you got an oscilloscope telling you exactly what frequency that Tx is now transmitting on? The fact that a receiver nominally on the same frequency will work when it is close to the Tx doesn't prove that it is transmitting on the correct frequency. Rx's can and are easily swamped by adjacent Tx's. This I think is an extremely dangerous avenue to go down when a new correct Crystal costs so little.

Point 2. Same applies really for the Rx's as well. I know some makes will take others Crystals (some Rx manufacturers state that other manufacturers Crystals will work) but still the same applies for me. A crystal is peanuts compared to the cost of a model.

Point 3. Definitely yes

For me the telling thing is that using incorrect Crystals in the Transmitter means that you are endangering everyone else around you as you cannot know for sure that your Transmitter is actually transmitting on exactly the frequency it should be. So you could easily shoot other people down. With using incorrect Crystals in the Receiver the only person you are endangering is yourself as if it goes wrong it is only your models that suffer.

Alan

Thanks again both

Am I correct in understanding that my Sanwa transmitter with a Sanwa Xtal can operate a Futaba receiver with a Futaba Xtal, both on the same channel, and as you indicate mixing different  manufactures xtals in transmitters/ receivers is a definite no

As an aside, I do have an oscilloscope, but do not have the knowledge or desire to use as you describe.  Leave the dark art to the experts