OTX update confusion

Allan Bennett

The other day when I opened OTX Companion I got a message that a new version 2.3.13 is available, so I clicked to download it.  Download went okay, and I'm using it.

But I then got another message about another new file.  I was busy doing other things, so I didn't make a note of what it was, but I clicked to download it.  When the download was finished I then got a message asking if I want to install it on my Tx now, so I connected my X9D+2019 trannie in USB mode and clicked OK.  After a short while I got a message that installation had failed because it was incompatible with the current version.

Any idea what was that all about please?  As a general rule, should the OTX version on my trannie be the same as the Companion version, so should I now manually update my trannies to v2.3.13?

2 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

The other day when I opened OTX Companion I got a message that a new version 2.3.13 is available, so I clicked to download it.  Download went okay, and I'm using it.

But I then got another message about another new file.  I was busy doing other things, so I didn't make a note of what it was, but I clicked to download it.  When the download was finished I then got a message asking if I want to install it on my Tx now, so I connected my X9D+2019 trannie in USB mode and clicked OK.  After a short while I got a message that installation had failed because it was incompatible with the current version.

Any idea what was that all about please?  As a general rule, should the OTX version on my trannie be the same as the Companion version, so should I now manually update my trannies to v2.3.13?

I would never recommend you install anything on your TX that you haven't triaged first to understand what it is doing - always check the OTX release notes. Personally I always stay at least one incremental release or 3 months behind the "bleeding edge" in case unforseen issues are encountered, though that is incredibly rare these days now OTX development has somewhat slowed. Re: Companion, it should not be an issue if that is a release or two ahead of the software on the TX for an incremental i.e. 2.3.x) update. When they move to 2.4 thoguh I would definitely update both Companion and TX firmware at that point.

Thanks MattyB for confirmation about the relationship between OTX on the trannie and OTXCompanion.

I've just checked my laptop's Downloads folder and it shows nothing relating to OTX, but I think the download was something to do with LUA.  But if it's an 'update' why should it report that it's incompatible with existing -- surely it's meant to replace existing?

I agree with you about the idea of staying one step behind in releases but, other than reading the release notes and this forum, what triage steps can be taken?