Electric flight for juniors

Snorbitz

Hi Chaps

My 9 year old has expressed an interest in learning to fly and i thnk the electric route may be the way fwd. As i'm an IC flyer (sorry to mention that word here) i'm not too up on which model i should be looking at. My intention is for him use my tx and i have a spare JR77S reciever i could use if its not too weighty. I think with the aid of my simulator he could stretch to the use of ailerons but 3ch would also be fine. He quite likes the Phoenix Rainbow but i think financially it might be a little out of Santas reach by the time Lipo's and motors are purchased. I've seen some kits by GWS that come with motors and batteries etc which look ok but any comments would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, don't want to rain on your parade but don't make the mistake of assuming that electric because it's quieter and cleaner is safer for a nine year old than is I.C. Electrics can be quietly sitting there armed and ready to bite and can quite easily do so by accident whereas it's more or less impossible to start an IC engine by accident. Also the electric motor starts up at full torque and as long as the power is connectec will continue to "bite" whereas its IC counterpart usually stops when contact with something solid is encountered.

Sorry if this is something you did'nt want to hear and I'm sure your nine year old will be well supervised, but it is none the less a misconception I've encountered many times and thought worth pointing out I'm sure others will be along more experienced than I to give you more info on the choice of electric powered models for you.

The Graupner Terry would do the job OK and he could move on to something like the Rainbow later on. I've had my Terry (mk1) for years, originally with a direct drive speed 400 which powered it fine at first on nicads and later on 2S Lipos.

It now flies on a bell motor with a 2S 2400 lipo (long, long, long flights). My lad (11) can fly it ok.

If any of my non-modelling friends wants to try flying I get the Terry out and we go over to the park, easy stuff!

If you're worried about his safety (and why wouldn't you?) use a prop-saver and it he gets bitten by the prop it will pop off.

HTH

Bert

Hi Paul,

I Have the Multiplex Easystar, its a great model. Very tough and very forgiving. Excellent as my first model. When the suggestion first came to me I didnt like the Idea, I wanted something scale.but now i've flown it I think its great. I would strongly suggest this model or something of the like for the young 'un. An advantage is it's probably cheap enough to be in the reaches of santa

Ben. 

Hi Paul. I have to agree with Ben on the Multiplex Easystar or even the Easyglider. Both fly very "quietly" but the advantage of the glider is that you can get longer flights from it as it does just that, glides! I have been using one for the past year teaching a group of children with special needs to fly and it took a lot of prangs but is easily fixed.

Certainly starting on a sim is a very good idea, and then progress to a buddy link.

Good luck.

Thanks for the pointers guys. Sadly Santa's on a tighter buget than that this year (aren't we all) and i'm thinking that maybe the GWS Beaver with perhaps the E-Sky combo pack which includes a 20amp speed controller, 2 servos and a reciever might be ok and should get him flying for around £60?. Do we think this would work? I really like he Multiplex Easystar idea too and at only £40-£50 its a real possibility AND its on my simulator!!

My lad's not a club member yet so it'll be the local parkand playing field to start with. His first go on the simulator at the weekend was mightly impressive for a 9 year old.....within an hour he was taking off, doing circuits and loops, some of them intentional some not, but he seems to have the left/right coming towards you thing sorted out too so thats a big hurdle we shouldn't have to cross. Could i have done that at his age....mmmmm possibly not but then i wasn't bought up in the Playstation era!