Setup for taking an A test

Charles Galloway 1

I've been flying helis for many years but have taken a very long break and just come back to them.

Electric helis seem to be the way to go.

I need to take an A test and have just bought a goblin 700 and set it up in governor mode (Align BL130A). I want to set a pitch curve to be really smooth for taking the test.

I suspect that the setup used by F3C pilots for hovering would be good, but can't find anyone who flies this style either on line or locally (Greater Manchester).

Surprisingly the AHA doesn't appear to have any information for beginners other than the schedules.

There is loads on youtube for 3D flying but that has no interest to me at my age and reaction time.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Charles,

Why not drop a line to Dave Fisher, of 'flying fish flying school' fame.  He is a very experienced F3C and F3N helicopter pilot and is always a really helpful guy, but I would have thought a 700 Goblin with a lower headspeed would do it easily.

On my Mini Titan (450) I just did loads of practice first with the normal -100% -0- +100% pitch curve on mine (giving -12 to +12 of blade pitch), but with a 75% head speed to 'soften' things down a little, however, if it is windy on the day of your test, up the head speed a little (10%-15%) to compensate.

Barry

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Ian,

I've only just seen your reply.

Flyin' fish were very helpful in giving me  an idea for setting up the Goblin, but I haven't flown it yet because my club will only allow me to fly up to 450 size models until I get an A test.

Because of covid I've not managed any real practice time, but I'm hoping to start again soon.

Charles. 

Best of luck Charles.  Good to hear you are still practicing and that Dave Fisher was of help. I have not been flying my helicopters for the last 12 months as we lost our flying field to HS2, so I ended up joining a local fixed wing club just to keep my fingers going.  They do allow helicopters, but unfortunately it is a field open to local dog walkers and ramblers, who do not seem to understand why they need to keep well away from aircraft and helicopters.  I did try the 450 down there once, but a large off lead dog suddenly appeared from nowhere and proceeded to race around jumping up and barking at the helicopter.  Fortunately one of my club mates managed to shoo it away long enough for me to quickly land and recover it.  Needless to say I am now on a waiting list to join a helicopter friendly club soon, that fly on their own field!.