New Graupner F-15

Advert

What and spoil the review

It's one of 4 (I believe) foamie EDF jets Graupner have just released. They come pretty much RTF with inrunner motor, 64mm fan, ESC and servos - just add receiver and batt to fly. Uses a 3S 2100mAh pack. 740mm span, 1100mm length, all-up weight 25oz. Simple build, add stickers and fly.

Flew very well, not tearing holes in the sky but stable and fast, no vices. Pics later when I get them back from our photographer.

Proving yet again, some EDF models can fly quite happily at around the 100 watts per pound mark, even this one, which looks quite draggy with drop tanks and all.

Looks great in the air David, and definately shows the way forward for "proper" ARTF  /RTF by the sounds of it.

I actually quite like the colours.... but would put a pilot in yes. 

• 2 years later...
Just maidened my Graupner GF-15 and its great. My wife decided it looked too bare with the empty cockpit, so it now has two 'nato' pilots installed and I thought a coat of paint would help prevent finger and grass stains, so sprayed it with a water based light grey acrylic.

Quite pleased with it and it does fly nicely.

Unfortunately despite many efforts I could not get my pre-flight collage photographs (pasted in MS word) to load on this site. Any assistance in how to do this would be much appreciated.

Barry

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 14/07/2011 17:03:39

Thanks for your comments David and Tim, The nice thing was that my wife painted the pilots and she did an excellent job while I got on with painting the big bits. You can't see it in these photographs but they both have full coloured instrument displays to look at and the rear pilot has a wide eyed and very scared look on his face, so he must have realised who was actually going to fly the plane!.

Looks as though it's going to be too windy up here this weekend to have another go with the fixed wing fleet but I do hope to get the heli's up and flying instead. If all the flying plans go wrong then there are always the nitro trucks to play with - so many toys and so little time to play with them!

Have fun

Barry

• 2 months later...
Guys,

Just got myself one of these beauties. Got to say im impressed with the quality of the foam, lovely and smooth!

Got a few Q's before my maiden.

Running a 2100mah as recommended, what flight times are you guys getting??

Is the COG in the manual on the money?

Also, the recommended throws, seemed to me like a small amount.

Anyone fit the missile's with the drop tanks??

Barry, hows it going mate? Still flying the titan? Your F15 looks wicked. Where did you get those pilots?

Thats it for now, cheers...

Hi Graham, Not having had an EDF before I was surprised by the small throws they give buy they do work and they give pretty solid flight characteristics. The two Nato pilots we used were unpainted ones we bought at West Park Show and I think were about 2.50 each. Ours were 45mm high but with hindsight we should have bought the smaller ones, as I had to 'modify. the arms and height on ours to get them into the cockpit.
I only stooge around and limit flight times to 8 minutes, so my 2150 packs stay pretty cool and unstressed.

The bigger heli fleet has not been out much recently as either the weather has been unsuitable of our social calender has clashed with a nice flying day!. As a result the little MCP-x has taken the most abuse as it is almost indestructable - even in my hands and goes everywhere with us when we are camping.

Have fun and enjoy your GF-15.

Thanks for the info Barry, Nearly went to that show but couldn't make it.

Do you ever belly land yours with the drop tanks?? I fly over grass so prob not a good idea to attach the gear.

ps, ive been flying more planks than helis this summer. Just got finished having my 58cc yak 54 tuned up too. Now got 3 to maiden tomorrow if the wind plays ball.

Graham, I left the missiles off as they were bound to get broken with my landing skills ! We have the luxury of having a nice long tarmac runway but I fitted the wing tanks in case I ever need to do an emergency landing on grass. I also added two plastic skids just infront of the two engine exhaust mouldings and on each wing tip - just in case.

Mine has already gained scars from transporting and some hangar rash and one of the extensions on the elevators snapped off, so I refitted it with a 3mm CF rod through the middle as a backbone and did the same to the unbroken one, also the little tips on the tail fins received the same treatment but with 1.5mm CF rod as they are bound to get broken off.

Wind here is pretty gusty today, so off now to the field for a social and domestic (with the MCP-x of course!)

Hope your maidens go well and all the best with the GF-15

Barry

I had not owned a foamie before, so took lots of advice on compatible paints and it appears that although most household water based emulsions are Ok they tend to flake off, so I used the RC Styro Colours (Acrylic Paint for Syrofoam and ABS) spray paint (takes two cans btw for the GF-15 at approx £8.00 per can) which I bought off 'the bay' for the main body colour. Detailed brushwork was done with Humbrol Acrylic paints which come in little pots and lots of colours and finally Henkel-Watermann Acrylic paints from my wifes acrylic painting set, for the pilots.

Hope this helps but I found out after reading the Humbrol tins that their paints can be diluted with water for use with an airbrush, so that could reduce the cost of painting the airframe substantially.