Onboard sound system

Tim Mackey

Hi, guys, David from Model Solutions of Canada here. Thought you might be interested in our new SFX6 high performance sound module. It plays back at full CD sound quality (16 bit/44100 samples/sec) and has two independent throttle controlled engine sounds - great for twin engined aircraft. Lots of othe rworld first features including an intruiging Enhanced Doppler shift based on GPS input data. These are now in the assembly plant and we exepct to have them by July 22, 2009.

Regards,
David Harrison
CEO
Model Solutions of Canada Ltd.

Advert

Hi David - still awaiting delivery of mine via Brian, ordered a few weeks back  but getting excitted already t the prospect of now getting the latest and better  version
I was chatting with Phil about speaker placement.  I have seen guys who have placed one inside the cowl on the Sopwith camel - but literally just screwed via two fixing holes to the motor mount. Now its a while since I was into HiFi and audio per se, but I do recall that a major factor of a speakers performance was down to a decent baffle board at least, let alone a proper enclosure. I am thinking of fitting my 12 X A123 cells ( 6S2P) around the inside of the radial cowl, and that would probably mean that the single 4" speaker of yours ( which I have already received ) would fit inside the fus, just behind the firewall, facing down, with a hole /holes let into the undersiade of the fus. This means the whole fus would be working as a baffle board, albeit there are a fair few lightening holes in it already as stock.
This would, I think, be a better "sound board " for the ( single ) speaker. What do you think.

Timbo, I don't think you can assume that BRC Hobbies will send you a new SFX6 for the same price as the older SFX5.3. I believe they are out of stock of the SFX5.3's and I would have thought they should have refunded your money if they didn't have stock, but that's between you and them. We are pricing our SFX6 s slighlty more than the older model due to its very advanced features and lengthy product development time.

As far as your loudspeaker placement goes, here is some technical advice. Simply placing a speaker in any model with no airtight enclosure gives very poor results. When a loudspeaker is energized it radiates sound pressure waves from both the front of its cone and the rear of its cone. But the rear sound pressure wave is in anti-phase to the front one (think of the cone as a piston, pressurizing the air). This rear pressure wave is going to be reflected off any nearby surface and, depending on the net phase shift, will either reinforce or partially cancel out the front sound pressure wave. This is all very dependent on the frequency of the sound, and the distance and reflectivity of these surfaces. Hence the concept of an "infinite" baffle which is a theoretically infinite board in which the speaker is placed. In that concept the rear sound wave can never reach the front one and hence not mess it up.

The nearest thing to an "infinite" baffle is a very rigid airtight enclosure. As long as the walls are rigid and cannot vibrate themselves with the rear sound pressure wave then it dramatically reduces the sound intereference and improves the sound quality enormously.

From a practical point of view, there are two issues - making the walls rigid enough and making it airtight, especially at the seal around the loudspeaker frame. In a model airplane we can't make the walls too thick because of the weight, but a minimum of 3/16 high grade plywood is recommended. If you can get some acoustic fibreglass insulation and stuff that inside, so much the better.

Real Hi-Fi speakers have walls as thick as 1" and made of very dense wood, but we don't have that luxury here. Making ported speaker enclosures such as "bass reflex" types is a complicated science and shouldn't be attempted without that knowledge, otherwise you could be worse off than without the port.

Mounting the speaker in the bottom of the fuse with many holes to let the sound out is a good idea but if the surface is curved, you have to pay good attention to the seal around the speaker. There's not a whole lot you can do about the wall thickness or rigidity but stuffing acoustic insulation in there is a good idea

Best Regards,
David

David....I am not I havent been charged yet even though I ordered it some time back - and they have confirmed to me in writing, that it will be the newest SFX6 model that I get.
Thanks for the speaker info - I was planning on mounting it in an airtight  ply "box" that would then itself be mounted in the fus, with the cone facing downwards ...

• 1 month later...
Just to let everyone know that our new high performance SFX6 sound modules are now in stock and are shipping.

It plays at full CD sound quality - 16 bit/44100 samples/second, plays two sounds simultaneously at that rate or four sounds simultaneously at 16bit/22050 samples/second.

Dual independent throttle controlled engine sounds plus up to eight other sounds.

And of course, our hallmark USB interface so you can download your own sounds and/or set the many configurable options.

An on-board 40watt power amp, all in a board with a footprint smaller than a credit card.

More advanced features are planned such as GPS Derived Enhanced Doppler shift and more...

Full details are at :

http://www.modelsolutions.ca/catalog_sound_systems.htm

David Harrison
CEO
Model Solutions of Canada Ltd.
www.modelsolutions.ca