Onboard sound system

Tim Mackey

At around £90 at current canadian dollar exchange rate, this might seem a tad expensive, however further reading shows that this module ( unlike several others ) includes an onboard  40Watt amplifier, which should prvide a decent sound level provided you couple it to a decent loudspeaker. The unit also has built in flasher circuitry to hook up to guns  - and these flashes are synch'd to the sound system also for a realistic effect. A similar system from Bendini in Germany has existed for a while now, and having witnessed the effect first hand, I can assure you they do add that extra dimension of realism. This gadget is definately on my list of wants and I already have the ideal model to fit it in  - waiting in line in my workshop - the Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel ( leccy of course ). The camel is renowed for needing a ton of church roof in the nose for correct COG and the unavoidably heavy loudspeaker should prove ideal ballast!

Watch this space for a proper review IF Santa or someone else delivers!

Advert

Question: In these days of limited decibel levels allowed at flying fields to avoid upsetting the neighbours and loosing yet another flying site, is it wise to fit a loud speaker to a model aeroplane for the purposes of making noises of a volume and pitch that are designed to carry over the engine and prop noise and travel a fair distance to the observers on the flight line? "The other is mechanical, when the coil detaches from the diaphragm because it tries to move too much air too fast...........most likely if trying to create loud gun shots." Almost totally unrelated factoid: Whilst mixing the recent Transformers movie, the sound guys managed to blow every highly expensive, state of the art speaker unit in the theatre it was being mixed in.

Thats a fair point actually LHF... but I suppose at least it may be easier to control the volume than on a noisy smelly high revving 2 stroke .

We usually find that it is not neccessarily the actual pure volume level of noise that annoys "neighbours" but more the "type" of noise.

Low revving throbbing 4 strokes and lovely Bentley BR1   9 cylinder radials just somehow dont seem to aggaravate as much.

Bit like those blasted kids screaming along at 30 mph flat out on their noisy silly little scooters and "motorbikes" compared to the throbbing VB muscle car.

A sound theatre is different from a sound studio. A studio would be where you lay down tracks by recording foley / dubs etc which would then be edited. The sound theatre is essentially a high-end cinema with no seats. Instead it has a huuuuuge mixing desk where the audio is mixed to match the video. All the compression gubbins is factored in (obviously!) but doing it in a nice big acousticaly tuned room is better than doing it in some pokey little edit suite. It's called a sound theatre because (I assume) it is a theatre, sound mixing for the use of. If none of that makes sense, then bear in mind that this is an industry in which a senior technician is called "The Best Boy!" :-/

Hi, guys, I'm David Harrison, CEO of Model Solutions of Canada Ltd, the manufacturer of the SFX5.3 sound modules to which Timbo refers.

I can answer any and all questions regarding the sound module and the speakers which we sell.

The speaker specs. are an .mht file which is a single html archive file and should be able to be read by any Internet Explorer version.

And when comparing prices be sure you are comparing apples with apples, not oranges. Our sound modules are actually very much cheaper compared to the Benedini systems where you have to buy not only the module, but a separate power amp. as well.

Also, just to clarify the intended application of these. They are intended for use with electric powered planes, not I.C. engines. and the engine and gun sounds are genuine digital recordings of the real thing, not simulations. And the intent is not to make an electric airplane sound like a gas or glow powered model airplane, it is to make it sound like a real RR Merlin, Griffon, Pratt and Whitney - what have you engine.

If you have a high voltage system running on 10-12S and add a high voltage amplifier, you can get 100-200Watts out . Add appropriate speakers and you will get realistic sound levels. Of course I'm talking giant scale airplanes here.

Cheers
David

We are now importing these modules, and I have one fitted to a HMP Spitfire...and mighty impressive it is too, now in the process of fitting a twin speaker unit to my winter project, a YT Hawker Typhoon which is going to be running a 10s set up, they are not on the site yet, but we have some stock and obviously some experience with them now...very, very easy to fit, literally plug 'n' play, the range of sounds available is almost limitless!