The December 2008 issue

Twang

Advert

Well Its arrived folks and there's some interesting items in the accompanying century uks' catalogue. especially  the EDF models I reckon the Typhoon (euro fighter) will give the new graupner one a run for its money. But my fave of the 3 is the SU27 so cool wonder if its as manouverable as the real thing.Quirky it may be but kinda like the "coota" sea plane looks like one for the back of the car. and then there's the corsair, Oh wait I've still got to complete the gws 1 before she'll allow me one of those   but then there's always the spit or the mustang. and the decathlon looks good to. I think my xmas list just doubled in size

Phil Winks wrote (see)
Well Its arrived folks and there's
some interesting items in the accompanying century uks' catalogue.
especially  the EDF models I reckon the Typhoon (euro fighter) will give the new graupner one a run for its money. But my fave of the 3 is the SU27 so cool wonder if its as manouverable as the real thing.Quirky it may be but kinda like the "coota" sea plane looks like one for the back of the car. and then there's the corsair, Oh wait I've still got to complete the gws 1 before she'll allow me one of those   but then there's always the spit or the mustang. and the decathlon looks good to. I think my xmas list just doubled in size

Yes especially the bit about "just add transmitter and crystal". 

Its a 2.4Ghz set you fools!!

David,

I thought you did a review of a Decathlon not so long ago.

Perhaps that was from a different source...

I must admit that there are several very tempting offerings and am in some accord with Phil Winks as to preferences - especially the Decathlon and Coota.

The four channel version of the Wing Dragon Sportster also has a quirky appeal...

The December issue arrived today.

With reference the ‘Top Letter’.

It is perfectly correct to use watts per pound when assessing the suitability of electric motors. Measuring systems are not being mixed.

In imperial…

The unit of electrical power is the watt.

The unit of mechanical power is the horsepower.

The unit of weight is the pound.

The name should be the clue!

The watt (in recognition of James Watt) was adopted by the British Science institute in 1889. SI incorporated the watt in 1960.

Mag was great and all, but more to the point, their is a big ink splodge on part of my plan! Are you (David) the person to talk to? Editorial was good, a bit disappointed with the "give it a wurl" though because of all the talk of flying at the beginning & then... Bigger then usual all write, which was good, and I thought that the "into the blue" was good. If only I had had that.. Also is it just me, or whenever you buy something does a better, more reasonably priced thing come out - all this talk of well priced, really nice 'leccy trainer made me somewhat jealous.

Bah humbug.

Hi Birdy, well the only constant is 'change' so it can sometimes seem a bit like that phone you bought last weeks that's now been replaced 3 times.....

I think what's important at a trainer level is that your trainer does what you require ie. train you to fly, trainers are trainers - they do a job. If someone comes along with a prettier trainer then it's incentive to progress onto a model that does have some bling if that's what you want.

Sorry about the splodge, we'll talk to the printers....  

Andy, you are right in the matter of the cage around the wings, and, IIRC, only the wing rolled and the control was via a third line.

If this was held taught, multiple "rolls" could be achieved as there was nothing to stop the rotation.

At the time, I only flew C/L as I was too poor to risk losing a model and engine which had taken weeks of saving up "Saturday pennies" to acquire. I was also lazy and didn't like having to chase FF models down wind although I did dabble a little - mainly with gliders as my expertise with engines often meant more time flicking the prop to get such as an ED Bee started - with all that effort, I wanted more than a 30 second  or so engine run, so C/L was the way to go as there was a bigger tank, I had some sort of control and the beast couldn't fly away...

• 2 weeks later...