Any slopes in the N.W

Advert

It's not about the size of the hill Phil - It's about having the right toy for the job.

Thurstaston cliffs over the beach are great in a south westerly but even the shallow sea defences up past the golf course at Wallasey will work with the wind straight on.

Go to the orme and hook up with the lads for a fantastic foamie fest but beware the bug that bites the hardest.....Coastal slope soaring up a chuffin' great hill! 

I agree with all that Eric- as for combat - not the idea is to just have a tap / bash at your mates. - nobody really wants to trash another persons model. It is actually a heck of a lot harder to do than you expect, Slope soaring in strong and sometimes gusty wind does not make for a very smooth and controlled flight and your opponent is trying very hard to lose you - mid airs often happen when you are NOT trying ! Usually after a touch, both models lose attitude and stall / veer off down wind toward the slope, and inevitably find the sink rather than lift, and normally at least one ends up in the deck.EPP parcel tape / ducktape covered foamies absolutely rule in combat.

Very unlikely to lose it over water, as here on the Orme the water is actually a fair old way away, and most sloping is done a lot closer to the cliff face than over water. In the event of radio problems etc, the very fact that the wind is blowing toward you means that the model ends up being blown back and lands on dry land. Recovery at the Orme is also usually easy, we very rarely lose a model completely - I have NEVER lost one yet, and fly there a LOT.

Fast and furious ridge flying is also great fun,and involves fast low and very close to the ground sweeps across the ridge....again the Orme is great for this.

Phil, dont forget I have stuff here that you can have a play with first.

Phil Wood wrote (see)
Timbo - forum moderator wrote (see)
Phil, dont forget I have stuff here that you can have a play with first.
I'll feel guilty as sin if I wrecked one though Tim. I've flown all sorts in my time but........it's been a long time............and all I've flow recently are home made foamy types and a couple of trainers owned by some generous locals. I had no problem with anything but this was in calm weather.

Do you happen to have a buddy box? That might put my mind at ease just in case.

Phil.

Honestly Phil, you do NOT need to worry about breaking anything - I wouldnt let you loose on anything other than say.... the Wildthing and you wont break that - theres probably a reward from Alan head if you DO!

I have buddy system anyway, but frankly, you wont need it really. What mode do you fly?

Lead sleds are not alweays necessary, and I can fly my 15 oz slipstream in anything up to 40mph+ winds.

see this video link here ( only done to demo to someone the easy launching technique so ignore the rest )

Rudder is left on mode 1 and 2 Phil!

Throttle and aileron on the right stick / rudder+elevator left stick - mode 1

Aileron and elevator right stick / throttle and rudder on the left stick - mode 2.

Yep, summer was cra*. It does get cold....but we wrap up warm !

Deltas are not great for the slope, as they have high drag in the turn, and you need something which keeps its flying speed up or you bleed off all the speed you just gained from "diving"