what are we gonna do instead of sandown

Advert

I didn't get along to Sandown that often, but when I did it was always enjoyable. I did hear a lot of people complaining that it was going downhill the past couple of years, but it's still a shame to see the back of it. It'd be nice to have somehting to replace it, but I guess we'd have heard by now?

Surely Model Max is a sort of replacement?

I can't see anyone replacing Sandown. After all, the place and format were slightly unique, so any other show won't really be a 'replacement' anyway.

The show was partly killed by the 'knockers', many of whom spouted so much rubbish on the original form of this site that you had to wonder if they had a life. One of the worst perpetrators even admitted in private corespondence with me (eventually) that he'd never been to the show - but his mates had told him this and that, so it must have been true!

Interestingly, most of the knockers DID go to the show every year. As you say, the slot is now empty - and it is their fault. But of course, they'll be in denial and blame it on the poor bu**ers who were running the event, it being too expensive blah de blah. Surely they can't have seriously contributed to the show's image problem - COULD THEY?

kdc
maybe the model engineering show but i don't think as a display pilot the sandown site was suitable for a flying event. there are much better show's for that. the only thing we seem to have lost is the UK's showcase show and another show in the south east. its funny model show's are very midlands biased the south now lacks the balance that sandown produced.
regards
nasa

A different venue from Sandown would be OK, but we need a show near London where we can see major distributors etc. Sandown used to have Ripmax,Chris Foss, Laser, Solarfilm, Avicraft, Dave Smith, and many other interesting stands which I have not seen elsewhere.

Someone should start a show at Duxford. The venue is MUCH cheaper than Sandown, you can fly anything there, and those who come along get to see the full-size collections as well.

Oh, and road access from points north and south is excellent too.

Duxford have already said they'll do it. Anyone up for it?

JC

• 2 weeks later...
De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter.
Who has a really good RC scale drwg. (preferably as an electric twin)....?
Must be min. scale 1:10 (span 1980 mm.), max. scale 1:8 (span 2475 mm.).
The following drwgs. are not near good enough/far from scale:
1. Drwg. in Model Builder, July 1976, scale
1:9.
2. Drwg. in Model Airplane News, May 2002,
scale 1:12.
I am also looking for 3-view/4-view/or ? of the full size plane, preferably a Witold Szewczyk drwg., if available ?

Best regards

Henrik Grane, Farum, DENMARK.

Was anyone else silly enough to go to theFLEET AIR ARM MODEL SHOW
on Sat 10th .Numerous publications reported that the event was sponsored by the BMFA.With 110 traders and clubs exibiting.
They said whether your interest is in Kits or Scratch built Model Aircraft the show would have somthing for everyone
WHAT WAS THERE?
PLASTIC--PLASTIC--PLASTIC
Apart from a small flying display not one item of our sport was on display or for sale

Role on the replacement for Sandown
Regards to you all.

Hi all you can visit weston park model air show 16/17 June 2007 we have over 100 traders booked in and are probably the biggist Trade supported show in the country ,Host of top pilots from uk and Europe On site camping entertaiment friday night and saturday great family show commantry dave bishop ,come for the week and fly ever evening see you all there steve bishop
please our show web site
www.westonparkmodelairshow.co.uk