Wattage, Amperage and other nasties!

Marc Humphries

Grabbed the latest copy of the mag from the postie yesterday and read with interest the letter about mixing imperial and metric units.  Whilst I'm not too upset by "Watts per pound" - here are a few "modeller-isms" that really stick in the throat!

• "Amperage" -   as in "I need to check the amperage of my set up."  What the hell is that?  The property you are referring to is Current - and you measure it in Amperes - or Amps for short.  Let's all try and say "I need to find out how much current my set up is drawing" or "How many Amps is my set up drawing".   After all - we don't ask "I wonder what the poundage (kilogram-age) of my model is".
  • "Wattage" - as in "What's the wattage of your set up?"  Oh dear - once again the property is Power - and in electric circles it is measured in Watts.  Try "How much power are you producing" or "How many Watts is your set up producing?"

I laughed out loud at all the Ohms law stuff being discussed recently - as my late father used to tell me - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. And don't get me started on joe average aeromodeller trying to discuss aerodynamics.  Get on ebay and look for AC Kermode's 1939 book "Flight without Formulae".  To my eternal regret I have lost the copy my father gave me which he obtained as an RAF Apprentice at Halton in 1940.  Read it - and job done.

Sorry - grumpy gene has to be exercised sometimes!

Advert

Yo Phil, dat fine soul me homey.

Ah dun realise ya' wuz some radical funky pimp who copies and pastes fum sucka'ss profiles.

Please duzn't get downset - it's not wo'd de trouble. Dese old sucka's is plum stupid.  De're ain't nutin wrong wiv slang.

Seriously though Phil - the mashing of units, properties etc does cause confusion - the Ohms law discussion was testimony to that.  Mind you - it's always good for a laugh...

Phil Wood wrote (see)

Ooh someone did get out the wrong side of the bed today. If I'm writing a physics paper I have to be careful to get everything correct. Even a silly thing like, Mahr, would be a mistake and I have to put mA hr , note the lower case m for milli (not M for Mega) and the upper case A for Amps because it is relating to the name Ampere. There even has to be a gap between the two units. mA hr.......not mAhr.

In this forum we're all just big kids and we have to let the imagination run riot now and again. If someone wants to pilot their aeroplane inside out, let them have their fun. I notice in your profile you say .... Quote, "having flying fields within walking distance of home is sooo cool!" Does the nearby location of your field in some way affect the temperature?

If people use the term "wattage" the rest of the community know what they mean so it's little more than a slang expression.....................If it does become a problem Timbo is there to correct it in a technical manner.

God knows, I wouldn't like his job with us lot.

Phil.

Tell me about it.....if it wasn't for the 7 figure salary I wouldn't do it I can tell you!