Adapt I.C. kit to electric.

Hi. I have a  Robbe vintage Motor Drachen kit.  It is a semi scale Hang Glider kit I believe from the late 70s early 80s. The Pre finished sail/wing has a span of of 1620mm and according to the description the alloy chassis / wing supports will have an all up finished weight of approx 1.2kg.  Does anyone have any experience of  this old kit.   My main query is the reason I have placed this thread in the Electric flight forum.  The model is designed to be powered by the old Enya 0.9 R/C engine which I think is 1cc or thereabouts. I would like to convert to electric.  Having no experience at all regarding electrics, can anyone give an idea as to what size motor, speed controller, battery pack would be suitable to replace the I.C described. Thanks

Advert

I would expect that for this type of model a simple cheap bell outrunner style motor would be fine.

Something like this combo here ( includes a speed controller )

Would probably be OK on 2 Lipo cells also.... so cost would be minimal.

You could stick a nice scale looking 3 blader on it too.

IF power was found to be a little lacking ( and I doubt it would ) then just add a 3rd cell to make it a 3s lipo.

Hi.  Great,  thanks for your advice,  certainly worth a go and with minimum outlay.   One thing however I should have mentioned in my first thread is that the kit comes with its own 7x4 pusher prop with a propshaft bore of 1/8" specifically for the old Enya 0.9.  Is it possible to adapt the prop supplied to the motor shaft or are there pusher props available for electric application.  Regards Roger.

Roger. You dont use "pusher" props with electric setups. Simply put the normal electric prop on with the letters /numbers ( front of blades in other words ) facing the direction of travel, and connect the motor up so that the direction of rotation is "normal" EG: as viewed from the front of the model, looking down toward the prop, the prop should rotate anticlockwise...just as it would were it on the front of a normal tractor version model.

To reverse the direction of the brushless motor, simply swap any two wires over with themselves

( yet another great advantage of electric motors over smelly oily engines )