Hello Everyone

Greg Grimwood

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

...Old FF models as trainers..If they have been modified to use ailerons then sure, if not they are not easy to fly accurately. I dont think i would want to attempt a cross wind landing with a 3 channel model...

I agree. If the wind is across the strip, I do not take my novices up on a three-channel model!

The object of flying these models is simply to build a learner's confidence before he goes on to flying a model with ailerons. As for modifying free flight models to incorporaste ailerons, be careful. The Keil Kraft Junior 60 or Falcon, that holy grail of vintage modellers, have pronounced dihedrals and if you simply add ailerons to them you'll get adverse yaw all over the place. If you must fit ailerons to these models at least reduce the dihedral first. Mind you I've never seen the point of adding ailerons to models like these; they're delightful to fly in their own sweet way without them.

On the other hand, ailerons have been added to Super 60s and other venerable designs for decades but they all had their three-channel dihdrals reduced.

Finally, I agree that learning to fly on an ARTF does not involve the emotional involvement associated with a model you've built yourself stick by stick but ARTF prices are so high these days that maybe we have gone full circle and it's now cheaper to build your own first model!

Pictures below show the Junior 60 on which I learned how to fly and some Super 60s with ailerons to illustrate the difference between the dihedral angles.

1008909207_Super60Squadron3.thumb.JPG.ff12b6e3c16f44062912db1e70ff6ba2.JPG

Junior 60 in Flight.jpg

J60 in winter.jpg

Super 60 with strip ailerons.jpg

Advert