Quads, FPV Enquiry

Currently an all-fixed wing club, as part of looking at opening up our horizons, we are considering introducing Quad & FPV operations to our all-grass countryside field.

We do already have a small indoor venue, (Village Hall), where the typical 'Whoops' micro/mini craft can be flown.

Questions: Do 'conventional' fixed wing & Quads/FPV flying on the same site work in everyday, all-weather practice?

Initially, we're thinking of limiting the size of Quad, likely to be 4-5" rotor size, not the mega size machines many professional photo folk use!

If so, how has your club/group arranged and organised it?

Otherwise, is it best to keep the two types of craft totally separate i.e. each use their own dedicated sites?

Also, being very conscious of noise, what is the best practice for noise testing Quads?

(Have looked at the BMFA site and it's not that helpful specifically regarding Quads - We already noise test all models as a matter of routine to comply with all recommendations).

We intend to have a trial, see what the response, participation and overall interest level is.

Possibly we may attract some new and younger blood into the club, well that's one aspect too!

(Yes, like many if not most clubs, the current average age of club members is north of 60+!)

Any other aspects, safety, practical rules we should consider, organisations to contact?

Thanks in advance for any constructive and helpful information forum members may provide.

My own experience of over 3 clubs that flew fixed wing, multi rotor and heli this is it depends. In my opinion, it's speed differential that's the potential issue rather than craft type.

Club 1. Shared strip. Not uncommon to take off and fly fixed wing, then when ready to land, have a heli or two or three hovering above the strip. This was before muti rotor and FPV were widespread. Also heli's beating up the sky above the strip. From memory, there were more heli than FW fliers, and rare to have more than one FW in the air at the time. Too much of a compromise for FW in my opinion so I did not renew.

Club 2. Main strip for fixed wing and separate field for Heli and multi rotor / FPV and slow speed work and hover. Sometimes helis would use the main strip, but not for hover practice. This worked well. No longer a member as I found somewhere closer to home. 

Club 3. Shared strip. This is my current club and is quite small. Fixed wing, multi rotor and MR FPV and helis all share the same strip. Rough percentages of flights are 70% fixed wing, 20% multi rotor FPV (almost no MR LOS) and 10% or less heli. Only ever seen one heli on hover / engine setup practice over the strip and was OK to operate FW simultaneously although more heli would probably require active cooperation. FPV MR take to the sky at the edge of the strip and mind their own business for their flights, landing at the edge of the strip, although I've only seen a couple of FPV MR up at once. Bottom line is mixed craft work in this club, probably due to the ratios involved and the positive culture.