What do you think about the Edge 540?

arko66

Im looking to buy  my first low wing aircraft. Its an Extreme Edge 540t-E. Its a combo deal with:

Propulsion
Torque 2818/900 brushless outrunner motor 

Propellor
13/6.5 APC-E propellor

Electronics
Airboss 35 amp electronic speed controller
4 x HS 65 Servos 

Battery
Flight Power 2100 Evo Lite 3S battery 

Price £259.

Any comments good or bad appreciated. Ive seen this bird flying and I am fascinated although the Extra 300 54" looks really impressive too.

Thanks. Ian

I have not seen this plane but I'm not sure it would make a good first low wing aircraft. Highly tapered low aspect ratio wings can BITE!

The summary from the review states:

Is This For a Beginner?

You probably need to have a couple of sportier mid to low wing aerobatic to 3D planes under your belt before you take on this one. This would be a pretty frustrating pile of balsa in short order for the beginner.

Also I know the 35Amp ESC is part of the recommended package but the motor is also rated at 35A peak, which to me is a bit too close for comfort. For an extra £6 you can get their 45A version which also has a switching BEC.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Back again after the hols. I still managed to get onto a pc to enter the xmas draw though. 

@Rob, How much difference would a 45A make?

@David, Yep its the extreme-flight. I dont know, this model just appeals to me so much, its getting a bit of a fetish...looking up everything on all sites, reading the mags, (no...not those ones!) watching the red-bull races etc, etc.

By the way, going off-topic, is it true that Red-Bull decal sheets are not allowed to be sold separately? Ive heard that only a very few firms are granted a license to have these on their models, if any.

I had this model for a few years and it was fun, but hovering was a pain, and it's too twitchy for a real imac sequence. As a good throwaround model to keep assembled in the back of the car it's great. There are pics in my gallery if you want a look, and if you go to RCGroups 3d flying section you'll find a 40ish page thread on the model, along with a few videos on youtube. One point of note is that spares back up will be non-existent as freestyle rc are now closed and no new european distributor has been appointed yet.