Futaba T6EXA

Barry Love

Hi all;

I've been reading with interest the problems that some of you are having with the setting up the Wmix facillity within the Futaba T6 radio sets.

Now, I have a Futaba T6EXA set and I want to set up differential aileron mixing on my Twinstar II.

I understand that my T6 is not the most sophisticated radio on the market, however its supposed to be a "computer" set, incorporating all the necessary wizardry.

I have tried and tried to set this system up.  The problem is that when Wmix is selected on, with Channel 1 and 6 the useable range of the servos is reduced to 60% and 40%, in addition the servo centering is affected.  Why is this?

The Twinstar II requires up aileron of 18mm and down aileron of 10mm.

Does this mean that I will have to re-centralise the control horns when Wmix is selected.

This all seems to me to be at odds with a programmable radio, surely the whole point of a programmable radio is that the user "can do what he wants".

I have tried resorting to using a Y lead but this is no use as you cannot set one aileron from another .

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello Barry, and welcome.

I don't know what the Wmix is, but you need to use the Flapperon mix.  This will operate channels 1 & 6 to move the ailerons as required.  If both go the same way, reverse the one that is wrong.  You can then use the end points to get the desired throws. (make sure the rates are set at 100% initially, these can be reduced if needed).  Also, you will need to inhibit the Flap Trim setting so that the rotary knob ( the normal flap switch on channel 6) is switched off.  By the way, ch1 goes to the right wing and ch 6 to the left.

Hope this helps,

Simon.

Hello Barry,

Does the EXA actually have a flapperon function then, if it does, it should have the rotary knob to operate the flaps.  If it does, its this rotary knob that needs to be inhibited so that you cannot alter the ailerons accidentally.  If the TX doesn't have these functions, does it have any free mixes that you could use?  If it has none of these functions, you will have to Y lead the aileron servos and set the output arms at an angle to introduce the differential required.

Simon.

Hello Simon;

Yes it does have the rotary knob on the top right of the casing.

Also it has three mixes, these being INH = inhibit, FL = flaperon, V = v tail, EL =elevon, CL = clear.

Flaperon is what I have selected, but no flap trim, is selectable as far as I can see, or any other function to inhibit the rotary knob!

Regards

Barry 

I am not sure what you are trying to do.

If you are wanting flaps on the same control surfaces as the ailerons then flaperons are the way to go.

I assume you have servos in the wing on the underside so the following would apply.

If you want just simple differential movement then no mixing is required as this can be done by simple geometry! For more up than down the arm on the servo needs to be raked forward (towards the aircraft nose) when in the neutral position. When the arm sweeps forward to apply down it will travel more through the curve and give less movement on the control surface. The reverse is true when you apply opposite stick. You can still mix with flaps if you really want to.

OK so maybe some sets can do this electronically but I come from the days when you had to do this the hard way  I do not recall differential movement being an option on my EXA but the manual for your particular set is the place to go to check.