Nigel Hawes Fizza

Andy Taylor

Hi Guys,

new on here so be gentle with me, if been asked before link me to the thread please,

ok, im building a nigel hawes Fizza, yep an old plan but im going off ic as its to far to drive to the flying field, a friend has said i can fly in his field so looked around and found the plans so bashed a bit of balsa and am ready to power it up what with?? any ideas, i have looked on brc hobbies but dont realy know what im after, hoping on a brushless motor and lipo's

thanks in anticipation

Andy

Advert

Hi Andy and welcome to “The Friendly Forum”

If you have not already done so, could I ask you to have a read of these few guidelines we have listed to help you with using the forum…. read the “pinned stickies” which are shown with a red “pin”.

Here’s a few other links which may be helpful.

Perhaps this in particular may help

And this.

For a list of clubs in your area try this…. http://www.bmfa.org/clubs/index.html

Finally…..please consider filling in a little about yourself on the profile page - that way you will be sure to get more response to your questions!

You don’t have to go overboard - take a look at a few others and you will get the idea.

As for Nigel's Fizza well I think its only around a 1lb maximum AUW, and should fly very well on about 100 watts. I reckon you neeed about a 7 or 8" prop, and reasonably high Kv for fast flying style. I think Nigel recommends the typhoon 6 / 23 wind, but anything of a similar spec should do fine.

NIgel does drop in here from time to time as "flyelectric" so Im sure he will put us right if I got it wrong

2s ( or 3s for very fast ) Lipo of around 1000m/a or more should show about 10 A current draw, so only smallish 12 - 15A ESC required.

try something like this if you are on a really tight budget - just £12 for both motor and ESC combo!

Timbo,

thanks for the reply, info is just what i was after thanks,

sorry i didn't explain myself properly, ive been out of flying for a couple of years as the drive of almost an hour to the club i was in (llyn mac) in pwllheli put me off and the normal family commitments and the other thing WORK ouch, so i think my ic days are over, but never say never,

as i said a friend has said i can fly in his field so electric is the way ahead, except as you know its a mine field out there knowing what to get kit wise, so hopefuly will have the fizza up and running in a couple of weeks, then on to some sort of depron shockie

cheers andy

Jonathan / Timbo,

what about this combo,

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=482

i belive you can swop the shaft around so we can mount it inside the fuz,

spinning one of these

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=976

let me know what you guys think,

ps going to be using a 1300 3s lipo 15c, hope its the right choice

andy

Jonathan,

its not a money thing i just thiught i might need a few bendy props first, see how i get on, past experiance from my ic days has taught me how easy it is to snap a apc prop.

any how here it is covered, radio gear will be in tommorow and then a matter of waiting for me power pack to come , so maybe next week it might get its maiden flight, hope it dosn't end in tears

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/gasman59/fizza-------003.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/gasman59/fizza-------002.jpg

cheers andy

• 1 month later...
I finally got to maiden my Fizza this week, I started building in 2005 after the plan was released, but needed finishing (covering, motor, servos & controls). I have used a Brushless Outrunner motor 1053kv A20-20L using an APC E 9*4.8, drawing 9a static and a 1000mah3S LiPo. AUW was 400g.

I have added an extra half bulkhead to stop the battery going too far farward as I have not found an easy method of retraing the battery, except foam packing.

I wished I had completed it 3 years ago!

I am using velco at present, but attached to the hatch, as get the cg correct the battery sits slightly on the wing and most of it on the underside of the top deck, which is of course triangular stock, so no flat surface. I am looking at putting in a lite ply tray for the battery as the hatch will break if I have a heavy landing.

Any other methods anyone has used on the Fizza?

• 2 years later...
Gday there im in the middle of building my 2nd fizza as my first one had an untimely death from a faulty esc my new one is going to be a bit of a speed demon .I will be using a Turnigy 2836 2350kv with 60a esc and 3s 2200mah i was wondering if anyone who has built a Fizza in the past has tried to push the envelope of this awesome model.

Hi Mick
Have had a couple of fizza"s , both built when the plan first came out. they have impeccable flying habits, both as gentle and ballistic set ups. I lost one a couple of years ago to a locked up elevator servo and it looped to its death. The second one met its maker two weeks ago when the film covering pealed of the bottom wing, causing some weird aeros at 2 meters above the strip. This one had a 380w set up on a 40c 3s 2250mahr.The fizza had 732 flights, I had noticed the delaminating,and stupidly did nothing about it! Now know what loose film does to aerodynamics. Will build another with the same setup, it was my warm up and warm down plane. Enjoy your build, and flying
Graham

• 1 month later...
ok ive nearly finished building another fizza after my first fizza had a bad crash after my cheap esc decided to give up working ,my problem is that my new one is over 700 gms in weight im hoping it will still fly is there anyone who has had a fizza fly ok that was a bit on the heqvy side and what is the maximum wing loading this awesome model can handle.thanx

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 18/08/2011 15:36:38

• 8 months later...
Hi again,ive been flying the you know what out of this great model but as I am an adventerous fellow and bat for both teams, (ic and electric), i'm thinking of mounting a cox 049 with throttle on the front ,of course once ive fuel proofed the necessary areas, I was wondering if anyone has tried this with success?

Mick I would say a Cox 049 is nowhere near powerful enough for a Fizza......I have just over 200watts in mine & its a bundle of laffs to fly.....200 watts is over 1/4 of a horsepower & theres no way a Cox 049 will produce a 1/4 of a horsepower.....I would look to a 0.10 or 0.15cu in glow motor up front for similar performance to a good electric set up......Maybe an ASP/SC12 might work well....

As a keen IC man I would be interested to hear how you get on.....thumbs up

Mick, I flew mine for years on an Enya .09 and it struggled until the prop bit which made hand launching... interesting. It went okay once it got going though. I know have have an Enya SS15 in it and it goes very well indeed.

Fair to say that it's tad on the heavy side at 25 ounzes and I have had a previous Enya .09 equipped lighter Fizza fly okay on one of those.

I also found that balancing the .09 equipped model required quite some lead up front so when I built the second one I extended the nose by 20mm.

MkIV Fizza

So I would suggest an engine equivelant of a .12 or higher would do the job.

Edited By Ian Jones on 02/05/2012 18:02:45