2.4 weatronics

Erfolg

I am bracing myself to buy a 2.4 set. But a number of things have held me back

a) I am still not sure if the recent EU position means that we modellers will be allowed to use 2.4 indefinatly, or just at the moment.

b) The lack of parrallel suppliers of receivers.

There does now appear to be a alternative supplier to Futaba, for receivers on 2.4 using their system. Or am i wrong.

I can find no price for the Weatronics receivers, does any one know?

I am put of the Spectrum, as many USA suppliers have come and gone, in the past ie Cannon, Royal, Airtronics. The other issue always seems to be the use of "Intellectual Property" as a means of limiting competition .

Is the FHSS system open to others so that anyone can supply using the same concept?

I must state that I do prefer Futaba equipment, as to date, it has been more reliable than my other sets, it has been reasonably priced, second tier suppliers make equipment available which is compatible with Futaba.

Can anyone answer my doubts.

Erfolg

Advert

Checkout the Multiplex site for info on 2.4 as they now seem happy to invest in 2.4 after the latest EU ruling said that the band would not be restricted. The Weatronics equipment is very expensive most is aimed at jets or large model flyers, they are German but I did find their US distributors site www.[b]weatronic[/b]-usa.com with prices on it. I am using both Futaba and JR/Spectrum 2.4 for the past year and apart from a faulty Futaba tx module (zero id) I have had no problems and no glitches and I fly everything from small "parkflyers" to 30 cc aerobatic models. I have just finished changing all 40 of my models over to 2.4 and sold all of my PCM receivers, it has removed the biggest problem I had with 35 mhz of other people switching on, as it happened twice to me that I know of plus now I have the joy of flying electric powered models with not a glitch in sight.  

Yakmad

I do believe that 2.4 is the way to go also.

I guess if a manufacturer such as Multiplex is prepared to take the plunge, as I would think their main market is the EU, it would appear that continued approval is assured. It would also appear that we will have a EU wide common frequency, which is a first for aircraft is it not?

I would preffer to purchase  an open technology system, if possible. Even if it is not the best initially (technology advantages, often seem to be the product of the PR department, and marginal), as many developers quickly overtake and continue to improve and optimise, due to the greater time and money available from the larger pool.

I have had little trouble with 35, may be I have been lucky! Although i did loose models on 27. Other than the frequency clash issue and my own incomptance (pity the wife is not there to blame, maybe a cadboard cut is needed).

Erfolg

Erfolg,

I have always been a dedicated Futaba flyer as I always considered that with their industrial background in radio control that they would always be ahead of the pack but since the launch of 2.4 for RC they seem to be playing catch-up, they have only just launched a smaller 4 channel rx. None of these systems are perfect but at the moment the JR spectrum based systems have the edge as they offer firmware updates to improve there systems. I would imagine Multiplex will do the same and Weatronics is upgradeable. I find that I now have more JR/Spectrum rx's than Futaba which has happened really because they had rx's more suited to the models I have been flyiing of late (smaller rx's). I think which ever system you decide on there going to be on-going development and improvement for some time to come.

Phil,

If you use 35mhz PCM rx's there is no compability between brands, this is being reflected in the 2.4 market as well as the manufactures simply don't want you to buy other products. The age when anything lasts for a long period of time is well gone we have turned into a throw away society part of which is the must have the latest idea. I have seen this lately in our club where recent members must have the lastest radio's even though they don't have a need or the ability to use alot of the high end radio equipment and some new members dismissing 35 mhz as old hat, the last comment I heard was "surely everyone flies on 2.4 by now".  I changed to 2.4 for very sound costs and safety issues, I used to fly mostly Futaba PCM which did save my model on numerous occasion from other flyers stupidity. The money I have spent on 2.4 I consider well spent as I have not had any heart stopping moments when I no longer control the model through glitches or people switching on on my channel. I too remember the VHS, Beta and V2000 battle.