Hacker A10-7L motor - Maxon gearbox repair?

Jonathan M

Looking for someone who can repair the Maxon gearbox on my wee Hacker A10-7 motor.

It's new and never been previously used in a model, but I managed, when bench-testing the powertrain in the half-built airframe, to snag the 13x8 prop on the fuselage side before it unfolded!

According to the Hacker service people it is simply the pinion inside the gearbox that came loose (which is exactly what I suspected).

Hacker can easily mend it but they want me to send it via a dealer first.  The dealer however is reluctant because of the nightmare of the 10,000 customs forms he'd have to fill in etc!  Whichever way I do it, it's going to cost the best part of a new motor!

So I'm looking for someone UK-based who can do it for me - a skilled forum member even?

Alternatively I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to do this myself!

710941402_Screenshot2023-03-03at15_42_40.thumb.png.3b8ca43c7457b42e8819b3a2a3e3dc5b.png

Jonathan,

I was hoping someone else would contribute here but it is looking unlikely so I will chip in.

I have looked on line and there is a little info about there units but not much that is helpful.

IF the pinion on the motor has come adrift then it ought to be fairly easy to refit but I can't find how it is retained.

Are you able to split the motor from the gearbox and take pictures of what you have?

From an RC Groups thread, it seems the motor pinion is held in place with Loctite.

Hi Andy

Thanks for the chip in.  I've now found out how to solve the problem.  Once the gearbox was removed (I had to resort to molegrips on the front of the gearbox casing it was so tight!) the pinion proved to be an interference-fit but a very sloppy one!   So I've ordered Loctite 648 low viscosity, high strength retaining compound which is specific to this application.

Assuming this works, my next step will be to ensure an ESC soft-start or programme in a slow ramp-up to the throttle - with such a non-mechanical fixing and swinging such a relatively huge prop it's imperative that the torque is contained until the thing is spinning.