Replacement prop unit for Easyglider

I've just gone flying with the Easyglider, but now the whole prop unit (spinner, adapter&folding prop) is now sitting somewhere out of sight in between the thorns and long grass of the slope. Do Multiplex stock replacements, or do I have to find an alternative? My problem is that I have no idea of the dimensions of the original spinner or prop, as Multiplex include the whole assembly in the kit and therefore don't bother stating them.

My only other model is an Aerobird, which flies like powered lard! Please help!

Advert

Matt try here http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&category=9&start=0 

Google is a wonderful thing!

I think you need the 4mm version (the 5mm version is for the power upgrade kit) and the blades are on the next page.

When you install your new spinner and prop, try a small drop of CA glue on the ends of the screws holding the blades and on the head of the allan key holding the spinner onto the shaft.

That way, it should not come loose again.

ps have you sorted out your servos and spoilerons yet?

I assure you, the spoilerons are functioning perfectly now (thanks to me realizing my stupid mistake with the positioning of the servo arms - I believe when I centred them glued them in my transmitter had flap dialled in, but not sure)!

I believe the primary cause of the assembly leaving the airframe was due to my poor timing. I tried to do a hammerhead (there was no wind at all, and I was kind of bored), but it ended up flipping over the top like a 2D loop. To compensate for the lag between giving power to the motor via the transmitter and the motor actually running, I gave it power just as it was falling over the top, resulting in a very strange noise, which I now attribute to rather dangerous vibration. I decided to ignore this and proceeded to do some fast (well, fairly with the Easyglider) passes, where the assembly shot forwards, and down. Tracking two moving objects whilst trying to land one of them is impossible. I went to collect the glider, and realized how stupid I had been - I might have found it had I left the glider and gone straight for the approximate location of the prop assembly. Oh well, you live and learn! Thinking on it, this might call for going brushless - although since I'm flying the standard Easyglider Electric, I need something compatible with a gearbox. Any cheap ideas?

Hello Matt, I used to fly mine with an E-pro outrunner brushless motor (about 1200kv I think), using six or seven AA batteries! But it does mean that you have to carve the nose about a bit. I made a front former to fit the motor with clearance for the rotating can, then made a rolled thin plywood tube around that, making an assembly like a tin can with no lid, then when it was dry cut a hole in the tube to let the three wires through. (So that the rotating drum cannot contact them.)

Then carve the opening in the foam nose to fit, leaving clearance for the three wires, epoxy the whole unit into the nose covering  the wires with cling film or similar. A motor to suit should only cost about £7 to £8 from Giant Cod or BRC. (+  brushless ESC of course if you don't have one). Forget gearboxes they are wasteful of power and can be troublesome.

Matt,

I used the Multiplex power upgrade kit which slots straight in.

It does cost around 80 notes yet it shoots the thing into the air at about an 80 degree angle.

You still get the same number of flights per charge as with three times the power, the motor is not running for nearly as long to get you up to thermal hight (or into slope lift).

The dilemma is that with a more powerful (heavier) motor you then need some weight in the tail - so that's what the ball bearing that none of us needed or put in initially was for!

You can't get the ball bearing in after you've put the fuz together so my EG now has a chunk of lead in the middle of the rear skid on the fuz - does the job nicely.

Matt,

The instructions do say to put the ball bearing in - it's just that you don't need it to balance the standard power version and some people have even dug it out from the completed fuz.

The EG (including the ball bearing) seems to have been designed for the power upgrade  and then "watered down" with a barely adequate power unit.

Not a bad marketing strategy - sell you a plane for £65 and then you need the upgraded power unit, which costs one and a half times that of the original plane, to make it anything like decent.

Having destroyed the fuz of my first EG electric when the tail feathers came off at about 100ft (didn't use kicker with the CA) I've just realised that I have spares of everything - except the fuz.

You would be very welcome to a prop and spinner.

Just message me with your address and I will put it in the post - might just get to you in time for the summer flying season!