Wee MacGregor's In Control - bringing a 1970's 27mhz radio bang up to date

leccyflyer

Successful maiden flights for both the Digimac III and the Super 30 this morning and all went well. Having successfully range checked and failsafe checked the set up, we encountered a small problem with the motor cutting out when throttled up, which was cured by swapping out the motor for an identical unit from one of my SEMFF fighters ready for the maiden flight. That went without a hitch, even though I'd inadvertently left the 7x6" prop on, rather than reverting to the intended 8x6" prop. The Super 30 went away beautifully from a hand launch, though with a tendency to veer right a little - too much right thrust on my part, which I'll address with a couple of washers later. Once trimmed out the model behaved completely predicatably and encourage me to have a go flying On The Button, which was great fun. I did have to rescue a couple of over controlled uncomfortable position reverting to the sticks and after pootling around circuiting to left and right on the button, elected to land at the end of the flight using the sticks.

The mist turned to mizzle and stopped any further flights, but I'm pretty pleased with how the project has worked out and, after a few more test flights I'm sure I'll be able to try the Digimac III with my Outlaw before getting away from the safety net of those proportional controls and going full on single channel with the Gem 1+1 set. That's the plan to fulfill the aims of this excercise by the end of this flying season, fifty years on.

Edited by leccyflyer
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got two more of my wee MacGregor transmitters converted this week. It's quite addictive playing with old radios and Phil G's single channel and 1+1 encoders, plus the Lemon 2.4ghz modules make it a very straightforward job. I've been gradually getting into the swing of flying on the button with the Digimac III and find that I'm really enjoying the different mode of flying. 

Both are powered by a 2s1p 450mah lipo and the only changes to the case are a couple of wee peepholes to be able to view the status LEDs for configuration and showing the throttle status. The 1+1 has proportional rudder and sequential throttle -low-mid-high, which cycles through with each button press.

digimac 1 external finished.jpg

digimac 1 plus 1 external finished.jpg

digimac 1 internal finished.jpg

digimac 1 plu 1 internal finished.jpg

• Like 3