Aerobird 3

Matt Watts

I learned how to fly on two-channel 'toys' when I was 9, and the last one I had was the original Firebird Commander (RIP, radio was tripping). To fill the gap between 'proper' models and these toys, I bought an Aerobird 3. Now it's a great plane for moving on, but it's potential is severely limited by tip-stalling (on a beginner's model??) and almost total lack of power - roughly 10-12 minutes into the flight it struggles to climb parallel to the slope, which can't be more than 20degrees! With no headwind, you have to be flying in the first minute of the 15-20 it's capable of to loop from level flight, and even then it becomes more of a hammerhead. It is a fantastic model for just flying around lazily when the mood takes you, but marketing it as an Aerobird is at best misleading. Was the Aerobird Extreme any better, and now that it has been discontinued, are there any Hobbyzone planes without these dodgy bits? I'm not wanting to buy anything, but I am curious. Sorry about the huge rant!

Advert

I was (notice the was) the owner of an original Aerobird and agree; its not an aerobatic model. i don't expect the extreme was any better. However, if you look at the layout it hasn't really any hallmarks of an aerobatic model - high wing, low power (brushed), nimh pack, pusher prop. its essentially an electric glider. no wonder the wing folded while flying loops

Want to fly aerobatics? Don't want to spend much? get yourself a shockflyer (or equivilant). fly it on low rates at first to get used to the ailerons and then expand the envelope. Parkzone models are ok for starters, but you sound like you're ready to move on.

not joking, after many happy months of flying loops after screaming vertical dives it finally gave way. Folded right in half right where the fuselage is - came down quite fast! It did fly again but not very well and has since been consigned to the dustbin!

The easyglider should teach you what you want to know about ailerons, but its worth getting a proper aerobatic model if you want to rather than continuing with something thats innaproapriate.

Hope the junior build goes well. jonathan