Wingamagig - plans for flying wing article in Nov 2023 RCM&E?

PWLT

Hi

I was very pleased to see the Wingamagig article in the November 2023 RCM&E as it allowed me to identify a part built model of mine that I've had in the attic since the early 80s. 

It's all the motivation I need to renovate/complete it but I was hoping the magazine would include the latest plans? The text does actually refer to "...this months free plan". 

I've found the original plan online (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12358) so I can obviously get them printed but I'm wondering if it's been updated for the latest article and it was accidentally omitted?

There doesn't seem to be very much additional information online about other than one short YouTube video.  Looks like a fun design to get flying. 

Thanks and regards to all

Peter

Wingamagig.JPG

Hi Pete,

Shaun here, author of the Wingamagig article. Well spotted; I missed it and forgot to remove that line. Originally it was intended to be a plan feature but space and scheduling meant it would have been a number of months before that could happen. Kevin and I decided to do it as a build feature so modellers could have something simple to build over the miserable winter evenings if flying wings floated their boats. The plans are available on line as mentioned above. 

There are no changes to the airframe other than the tip mounted servos and e-motor / lipo / esc, instead of the Cox. Quick to build and a great fun model.  I hope it proves as popular as the Mini Blitz I did a few years ago. As mentioned in the article it would be great if a modeller built a depron version. 

Edited by 2.4g Shaun
Typo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2.4g Shaun said:

Hi Pete,

Shaun here, author of the Wingamagig article. Well spotted; I missed it and forgot to remove that line. Originally it was intended to be a plan feature but space and scheduling meant it would have been a number of months before that could happen. Kevin and I decided to do it as a build feature so modellers could have something simple to build over the miserable winter evenings if flying wings floated their boats. The plans are available on line as mentioned above. 

There are no changes to the airframe other than the tip mounted servos and e-motor / lipo / esc, instead of the Cox. Quick to build and a great fun model.  I hope it proves as popular as the Mini Blitz I did a few years ago. As mentioned in the article it would be great if a modeller built a depron version. 

Many thanks for the reply Shaun, no worries, I've downloaded the outerzone version of the plan and sent it off to a local print shop 🙂

Fingers crossed I'll finish it this time! 😉

Best regards

Peter

Lookin at what you've already built you could have it flying on Sunday - weather permitting.

I would definitely use the tip mounted servos though as opposed to the original method. Sharpen a bit piano wire to poke a hole through  the ribs to get the extension leads down. You could then carefully expand the hole with a piece of sharpened dowel. Worth the effort in my opinion.

Please send me a pic or two when you've finished the model. 

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 1

I haven't yet received the November issue but I built a Wingamagig several years ago from the original plan in the April 1982 issue of Radio Modeller.  The fact that its still flying is a testement to how robust it is, very!.

It's just great fun to fly.  It can do what looks and sounds like a supersonic low pass down the strip, turn, and make the return trip at almost walking pace.

If it's flown up to some height and slowed down it will loiter around looking quite evil.  The local bird population are very suspicious of it.

I built mine for electric power, 1100Kv motor, and fitted two servos centrally.  Build and enjoy.

• Like 2

Hi, Thanks for the encouragement! Sounds great 😊 

I’ve just had the outer zone plans printed at the pdf’s default 607x299mm and the scale matches the part built model exactly, so I think I’m good to go! 👍

Cheers

Pete

• 3 months later...

Hi Pete

I'm the builder of the red Wingamagig in the Outerzone picture gallery. This was powered by various 0.75 - 1.5cc diesel engines. It is great fun to fly and amazingly simple to build. Be sure to incorporate a good grip under the fuselage for launching. the Grip on the plan is only just about adequate. I added sandpaper on both sides of the grip to make it easier to hold when covered in castor residue.

AlistairT