Airprox news letter.

Advert

The full report for the airprox at Buckminster.

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/Standard_content/Airprox_report_files/2023/Airprox Report 2023116.pdf

The recommendations :

Recommendations:

1. Defence considers the addition of radar overlays for model aircraft operating sites that are notified in the UK AIP ENR 5.5.

2. Defence considers the addition of VFR chart symbols for model aircraft operating sites that are notified in the UK AIP ENR 5.5.

3. Large Model Association (LMA) considers listing all sites that operate under the ‘Over 25kg Scheme’ for flight testing, as listed on the LMA website, in the UK AIP.

Edited by steve too
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nigel Dell said:

On the face of it not really negative to us but I can’t help feeling the way this going!

This is not the first airprox between manned and unmanned aircraft caused by information not being transferred from civil to military systems. I wonder if the RAF unit involved has raised the profile of this one.

What surprised  me was the tone of astonishment that a model aircraft can weigh up to 150 Kg.  The other point seems to be that the only way to get civil air information to the military is to raise a NOTAM but the system doesn't allow existing UK AIP information to be put into a NOTAM.  A case of heads I win, tails you lose.

Since there are going to be increasing numbers of drones flying below 400 ft and the military are allowed to low fly just about anywhere in the UK at not below 250 ft, it sounds like someone needs to find a way of getting civil air information to the military otherwise we will see an upsurge of AirProx reports and in the worst case a collision.

• Like 1