Thrust lines

winchweight

Ok, my Mohawk has a bit of a climb problem. Even with a huge battery up front I still have to trim it nose down to get level flight. It's not the cofg that's at fault, so I guess it's the motors thrust line.

If I trim it out at 50% throttle to level flight, then open up the power, it climbs steeply. So I intend putting washers behind the motor mounts to adjust the TL, but do I need to put them behind the top of the mount (ie to point the TL towards the ground a little more), or the bottom?

As I said I should know this...

Advert

Shaun

My suggestion is to trim for a stable glide and then land, without re trimming, and have a look at the position of the elevators (before you switch off the rx!). They should be in line with the tail plane. If they are, fine, adding down thrust is going to help but If they are not, then you need to adjust the CofG or incidence as the engine thrust was out of the equation.

Adding down thrust before you achieve stable flight with the elevators in anything but aerodynamic neutral is likely to make the trim very sensitive to the throttle position, however a gentle climb on opening the throttle is preferable to diving!

I hope this helps.