Should I scratchbuild a plane modelled from a picture I found online?

Hi all,

I've modeled an EDF jet in Fusion360 from a top and side view that I found online, similar to how the guy has done it in THIS video (but it's a different model). I have been unable to find a front view. I don't know how accurate the reference pictures are in comparison to the actual model.

On the side view, it gives rough lines of the airfoils but there is no supporting detail about what airfoil should be used, and I can't find any info on other things such as angle of incidence, amount of dihedral etc.

Is it a bad idea to undertake a scratch build project without having this kind of detail?

Also I've tried to model it as accurately as possible to the diagrams and in conjunction with real pictures but It's never going to be 100% faithful. In this case could these small details be the make or break on if it'll fly well?

My plan is to use CAD because I want to be able to split the fuselage into 50mm sections (to get the profiles and cutouts etc) so I can then cut the sections out of XPS foam with a hotwire.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Edited by Paul Turner 2
  • Like 1

I've built with less!

If you have a rough 'formula' that works, then there's no reason not to. I scratch build using foam (B&Q laminate flooring insulation) and use 3 views. Plan and side views are enough. I tend to use Clark Y for my warbirds (or as close as I can get) and they seem to fly OK. I don't get too hung up on what they 'should' be.

If you follow general 'good practice', there's no reason why it won't fly. Assuming it's not something really whack, like a twin pusher canard autogyro EDF...

Graham

Thanks for replying :)

Nope I have no formula. At the moment I have a rough plan (the diagram I downloaded) but that's all. I can model to that but as I said, I don't know how accurate it is.

I Don't have much experience with aerodynamics and what things really matter when considering a project like this. But I'm guessing that just guessing on stuff probably wouldn't work out for the best. Just thought it'd be wise to ask the questions before putting the hours in only to find it flies like a brick :)

Hi Paul, is the plane a model or an  actual aeroplane? If it is a scale model then there is always plenty of information on the Internet. If it is a model then plans may be available from outerzone if you have the name of it.

Like Graham I have scratch built many models mainly warbirds from 3 view drawings, most having a flat bottom/ Clark y type wing , some have been in depron and foamboard some balsa built . The main thing is only add weight and strength where it is needed and getting the c of g right. There is a great feeling when your scratch built plane flys for the first time.