Raptor 30

magicstick

ms - Bruce is totally right. Before doing anything with the Raptor join a club and get lessons or use one of the schools that teach helis.
I see from your profile you live in Swindon. I am sure one of the flying schools that teaches heli flying is located just South of Swindon. Not sure but it might be the Paul Heckles school. But please do use them. It may seem expensive at 1st but a few hours of lessons will save you loads on the damage and repairs you will do on your Raptor, and they will set your helicopter up and test it out for you so you know it is ok. Hate to say it but any mishap on a helicopter is probably going to cost you at least £40+ for a crash kit and new blades. Potentially much more if it is a big one. And helicopters are very maintenance intensive. So money spent up front learning at a school can potentially save you hundreds long term.
Please don't let this put you off. I find helis the most satisfying flying of anything because of the intense concentration required. They really are a huge adrenaline rush every time you take off. But they are potentially quite dangerous to you and all around and that is why you MUST use a club or school to learn with.

Alan

ms - Paul Heckles school is at Chiseldon just south of Swindon no more than a few miles from you. The web address is : http://www.paulhecklesrc.co.uk/
and if you look at the BMFA site there are quite a few clubs in your area that cater for helicopters. Unfortunately not the Swindon one according to the BMFA but there are others fairly close.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
thanks everyone for the advice but im affraid some little toe~rag has broken into my garage and stolen my raptor. to top it all my insurance doesnt cover it so im back to square one.
saving up again to buy another raptor now.
my local modelshop is offering me a new raptor 30 with tt engine for £199.99
not sure if this a good deal or not. really wanted to build it myself so that i would have a better understanding of how it go's together and works.  what's the difference between a raptor 30 and raptor 50 apart from i presumme the engine size ?
would this be a better heli for me ? as i know that bigger i.c planes are easier to learn to fly on ?

£199 for a raptor & engine sounds like a very good deal to me.

However, you will also need to budget for the following, if you don't already have it:
Radio - Tx, Rx, 4 identical servos plus a good one for the tail rotor
gyro - spend as much as you can afford
fuel
field/starting equipment (this could cost up to £100 on its own!)
training undercarriage
tools
rx battery - should be included in the price of the radio if you get a complete set
and various other odds & sods

I've just put together a Century Hawk 30 and, although the heli was "only" £150 and the engine another £100, and I already had the Tx, it's still cost me over £400

M&S (yes, Marks & Sparks) do some nice insurance deals when it's renewal time. I ride mountain bikes (as you can see from my picture) and M&S insurance will cover any number of MTBs at up to £4k each, home & away. So covering helicopter shouldn't be a problem

john thanks for your reply. my local model shop is offering me a raptor 50 and os engine to match as an artf for £299 ?
didnt really want a 50 as being new the inital outlay seems excessive but have decided that this is the way foward when funds permit. until then will have to dream about learning to fly a heli !!!!
i know what you are saying about all the bits to go with it. ideally want a futaba ff7, futaba 401 servo and matching servo thats nearing another3400 on top of the heli. Flying helis is not a poor mans hobby thats for sure ???

• 2 weeks later...