PILOT models

I have decided to purchase a PILOT models aerobatics plane.

http://www.sloughrc.com/pages/Products/Aircraft/SRCM-AircraftScale_Pilot.asp

Im still undecided between the Sukhoi and the CAP......

Anyway, what engine should I use? I know it says .10 but I have seen ads for aerobatic 48" with a 46 class. Im thinking a 15. Or a 30 size four stroke. Anyone know where I can get a cheap one?

Marcus

Advert

Marcus

I've been using a Magnum GP10 in a V-bat flying wing, which is about 60" span.

It is spritely on this engine, and I would expect your Pilot model to be the same if it is built light enough (it's also very frugal on fuel!).

I've no idea how good the balsa is in these kits (I've been tempted to get one but haven't yet), but examine the balsa in the kit with weight-saving in mind and replace any wood (particularly at the tail-end) that seems a bit hard/heavy.

Us thin cyano, and only epoxy (sparingly) where needed and it should be ok.

Use a 7x4 - 7x5 prop with the 10 and you should be fine. Go to a 7x6 if you have a runway to fly from (slower initial acceleration but higher top speed once airborne).

This chap;

www.radiocontrolmodels.co.uk

has an O.S. 10 for sale for £24. Engines I've bought from him in the past have been good.

Hope this helps

Alistair

Thanks Alistair! Im off to the model shop tomorrow so I will add the prop to my shopping list!
If (WHEN!) I get the kit, I'll start a picture thread for you if you want. I still can't decide though..... CAP 232 or Su31 ? (The hard work I make myself do!) I prefer the Su31, but only just.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry Marcus

Got a bit caught up in the Lipos discussion.

If you look here;

http://www.osengines.com/manuals/index.html

you should be able to get a manual for the OS26, if it's still up on Ebay.

If you're using a glow motor on the xtra, you'll be OK with solarfilm, although profilm will give you a better finish, and will not wrinkle in the sun. If you really want to keep the plane light, you could try one of the lighter weight films or other coverings.

Add some colourful solartrim and you sould have an attractive model. Top tip - to position the solartrim, first wet the area where it is to go with soapy water. The solartrim floats on this initially, and can be accurately positioned. As the water dries, the trim sticks to the surface tighter than a limpet.

(I'm probably telling you stuff you already know, as I see you've already built a cub to train on...how's the sunderland progressing :o)

AlistairT