Spitfire Plane ARTF - Black Horse (semi-Scale) A-BH013

Delta Whiskey

Anyone had any experience with the Spitfire from Black Horse?  I got a chance to buy one already with servo's & engine installed so just wnated to know firstly if BH models are any good generally, and if the Spitfire from them is any good?
Its a 40 size one with a wing span of 1390mm.

I also wanted to know if it was more suited to an imtermediate flyer, or begineer, as I would consider myself to be somewhere in between. Just need more flying time, head on orientation is no problem as I come from flying heli's for nearly 8 months now!

I aslo have a OS 52 FS Surpass engine, and would like recommendations for what model would be suited for that and my experience?

Cheers all!

Also check the tailplane is ok. Me and a mate had one each a few years ago, and both of the tailplanes fractured (and we had trimmed back the covering film using a soldering iron to take away the problem of cutting through the tailplane when removing the covering to stick the tailplane in place).

I also painted the rather bright green with something more suitable, it looked a lot better after this.

Cheers.

Dave

Thanks for the replies.

David, regarding the tailplane, do you mean the whole tail section or just the elevator piece? And was it just not glued, or did it become damage during a heavy landing or something? Strange that two models had the same, I hope it's not a weakness point?

All...do you agree with Bruce about the poor ground handling?
I had a Ultimate Biplane, with the FS 52 engine, which was very fast, a bit too fast for me as I've just smashed it too bits, only the engine & radio surviving !  Totally lost control after one circuit, turning back towards me, it tipped one way, I corrected, then it spiralled into the ground, I'm not really sure it was me or something failed, or even interfernce or radio loss? I collected the bits, and the tail section controls were still working correctly with all the radio gear hanging loose!

One of the guys at our club had a black horse spit, and from what i can remember the under carriage wasn't scale as the main wheels were laid out similar to a mustang, ie a lot wider apart.  His model always handled really well on the ground so i don't think you should have any problems withg the ground handling.

The ground handling problems on the spitfire are caused by the wheels being so close together so blsckhorse have made them non scale to improve the handling.

I think you may well be disappointed in this model so be careful. My son bought one because he just had to have a Spitfire. It was his second model. It had him in tears on several occasions due to crashes. I rebuilt it twice and in the end he sold it for very little money. I do not want to spoil your dreams but they can turn into hear ache very quickly.

I would have to agree with Bruce in saying that the spitfire is not really ideal as a second plane. While the wing design is ideal in terms of aerodynamics and performance it does make it more difficult to fly, probably a bit prone to tip stalling if the washout isn't set right in the factory, so you'd need to keep the speed up, especially on landing.

Good advice thanks. I found that with the Ultimate, even though I reduced all the end point adjustments to reduce control surface movement by 50% it was really still too much for me. It took me 8 attempts once, to line up correctly for landing, and by then only had a drop of fuel left!  I flew it 5 times before the above mentioned smash. (Just tested the engine on my bench, works fine! phew!)
I think I will get a low wing or even a high wing trainer capable of mild aerobatics and give the spit the elbow...!  

Can always get one later !!

Thanks all, over much looking on the old internet, I narrowed it down to a choice of two for me, one is the Thunder Tiger Sport 40L  and the other a Black Horse Twister.

Both will take the FS52 and the twister seems to allow for more progression later on as is classed as a low wing intermediate aerobatics trainer and I've found one new as cheap as £67 ! The TT seems more stable from looking at the pictures and would be more forgiving I think and even has the tricycle undercarraige which will stop me nosing over on our bumpy field, the Twister being a tail dragger. (As was my Ultimate Biplane)

I think I would be ok with the Twister if I can reduce the throws for a couple of flights, and it does look the nicer of the two, and both look better than the BH Travel Air, but would appreciate all thoughts please!

(Under £90 would consider anything suitable for the FS52 and want something for everyday flying at the field the stronger and robust the better which would sway towards the TT for the 2 I've chosen, but I do not want to do any glueing which I think I would need to do from a read up on the TT which puts me of it a bit?)

Have you considered using exponential on the controls for you planes, as for most aerobatic stuff i would say its almoste essential.  I tend to use 40% to 60% on all of my planes, you'll find it makes a big difference in controll at landing. Just make sure you set it up right as all of the radio manufacturers have a different way of doing it, ie i think futaba have -ve exponential but the same in JR would have to be +ve.  If you're not sure how to set it up ask someone at you club to help you, but for stuff like extras or Ultimates i would say its essential.

Yeah I had 20% expo already set, I did manage the ultimate for 5 take offs and landings, I just reduced the amount of surface travel by 50% too!. It helped a lot!  I will try upping the expo for my next model though!

I'm still not sure if it was me or a failure on the Ultimate crash, when I checked the remains, one aileron servo worked ok the other did'nt and it did sort of spiral down from 30 - 40 ft up! Not sure if it failed or was due to the crash??

Both the BH Twister & TT Sport 40L are around £70 here, anyone know or seen them? I intend to use Futaba standard 148 servo and use my 2.4ghz 6EX Tx, I think these standard size servos should work with the FSST reciever??