Tiger Shark engines?

Bob Cotsford

Has anyone had any experience of Tiger Shark engines, either in general or the 91 ringed specifically?  They're currently on offer at £50, but are they worth buying, or are they MDS quality manufacturing with unpredictable or worse performance?
I'm after  an engine in the 75-90 range, and at this price they are hard to ignore.  I don't mind if they only last a few seasons as I don't expect OS/Enya quality for that price, but I don't relish the idea of spending £50 if they are a pile of dog poo.

Bob

Advert

This is no longer an issue as I have been offered an MVVS90 with Pitts style exhaust thrown in for just a little more than the Tiger Shark - that was a really hard decision to make, unknown engine or an MVVS!

So John, it's now down to you to buy one of the Tiger Sharks and let us know how it goes!

I had another moment of weakness and bought a 91, ken tells me they are made in the same factory as Just engines own brand and, apart from the logo cast into te side of the engine and being plain silver they are identical. Not sure if I'm pleased about that or not as the J'en 37 was the worst pile of junk I've ever owned and managed to sell it  off for a song (bridge over troubled water ) still they are close enough for me to drive over and make it a tiger shark enema if need be.

Let us know how it runs please John.
My MVVS arrived, it's now bolted in the Gladiator using the mount originally drilled for an OS61, the only drawback being that the BCM Pitts muffler that came with it is offset 5mm to far to the rear to fit in as is.  I might replace the mount so I can get the engine further forward and fit the Pitts exhaust.  CAP kits are renowned for being tail heavy beasts so it may be to my advantage.

Hi Bob....be interested to hear how your MVVS91 runs...I had one for a while & it was powerful & easy to handle etc but boy did it vibrate......I had it in an Extra 300 & at full chat it was painful to hold the model it vibrated so much....it really was that bad!!!

I couldn't believe it should do this so I returned to Just Engines (the supplier at that time) for their comments...in the end Paul Landels said he would swap it for an ASP91 which has been great ever since but he never really commented on the vibration issue......

I have an MVVS 61 which is a great engine....FYI there are no UK distributors for MVVS now (apart from Puffin models who do the leccy motors & the larger petrol motors) but support is available from the Netherlands...here

PS My Pitts style silencer was horrendously noisy too so I added an extra silencer chamber for it to feed into....

Haven't run my TS 91 yet, Before starting it I took off the backplate and sealed it with some non setting gasket stuff ditto the carb into the crankcase. Took apart the super silencer and find there's no baffles in there  so I got a one shot stainless steel pot scourer and secured it at the rear section. I'll eventually make some baffles out of baked bean tin lids to replace the stainless steel stuff.
I'll be putting it in the airframe for the weekend so should have a run out of it then.

• 3 weeks later...
In reply to Steve's comments on the MVVS90, I've just run it up in the Gladiator, admittedly it was only out in the back garden, but I ran it up and down the throttle range.

Vibration - you must have had a friday afternoon special Steve, this one is really smooth at full chat.  A little shake at tickover, but nothing to write home about.  It did increase after a full throttle nose-up mixture test, as I didn't realize I was so close to the washing line...

Noise - I don't have a dbmeter, but it wasn't bad to my ear, and this was right by the garage where noise levels should be exagerated by reflection off the wall.

A nice easy starting engine, good throttling, good fuel draw, I think I'm going to like it.

FYI - 15*6 running Southern Modelcraft 5%,  now running a 14 & a bit * 6 thanks to the line mentioned above.  I think it would turn a 16*6 without any problems, and make even less noise - I might give it a go, lack of power won't be a problem!

Thanks Bob...interesting....I also have an MVVS 61 motor & thats great...good power/response easy handling smooth.....which is why I went for the 91 in the first place!!!! I ran mine on Southern Modecraft 5% & a 14x6 Master prop.....the vibration was appalling......I even sent it up to Paul Landels at JE for him to test....engine, prop, the lot....he didn't really comment on the vibes...just offer me a swap for an ASP91.....

Maybe a Friday afternoon special as you say......

Steve, the guy I bought it from had been using it in an aerobatic model with a 15*7.  As it's a long stroke motor, I can't help feeling a 14*6 may have been underproping it.  More revs, more vibration and more noise.

The carb on this one has a butterfly valve, first time I've seen one  on a model engine.

My MVVS was fitted in a Graupner Extra 300 & 14" was about as big as I could go without running out of ground clearance!!!! It may be that I'd slightly underpropped it although as I recall it was turning around 10,000 rpm which didn't seem too high.

Mine certainly didn't have a butterfly carb on it.....a conventional rotating barrel on mine!!!