More lessons learned and a question

Lesson 1 - Don't disconnect the throttle from the receiver before disconnecting the battery.  1 cooked ESC later and this lesson has been learnt!

Lesson 2 - Always err on the side of caution with flight times as battery can run out quite quickly.  1 ditched Sea Fury and some work is now needed to put her right!

Question - I tried my 5 blade prop on the Sea Fury today. She wasn't anywhere near as fast and the battery lasted about half as long as with the 2 blade prop, hence Lesson 2!  Why is this? 

Boy it sounded good though, kind of like the howl a mustang makes and it comes down in a gentle dive.

Advert

Yes less efficient
The original 5 blader was
a) to absorb all the power of the Centaurus within the diameter available.
b) to keep the tip speed below supersonic
They were stuck with lower efficiency.

If your 5 blade was the same diam & pitch as your 2 blade it would draw quite a few more watts. You may be able to improve things a bit with a motor better matched to the prop.      

He may have had a plane in his hand but being a hansom chap he doubtless felt his face was more important

Mark. I am sure if you had asked about the 5 blade prop before you tried it you would have been advised what was likely to happen - but don't worry, like many of us, you have simply learned something the direct way - at no cost this time!