Another newbie

Good eve i am completely new to RC aircraft being introduced by a colleague at work.
i have some questions that i need answering please
Is it worth buying a 2.4ghz transmitter package,bloke at work says there are problems with 2.4ghz and i should stick 35mhz

I am looking for a trainer plane to fly looked at many via the net but not "fallen" for one yet would like a cessna 4 channel look a like any suggestions?

and lastly two or four stroke engine? which would be better .

I hope to be flying solo 4 the summer so any help would be great

Cheers  Chas

Advert

The cessna will soon look like fire wood. It is not IF I crash It is when . Even with a tutor you will have a heavy landing or 2. Save the money on more expensicve look alike plane and get a trainer ( Boomerang from seagull can be got for about £45 ish)
Radio gear best get the package deal in if going with futaba as it is a great saving . Either 2.4 or 35mg. If going 2.4 go with Spektrum the radio gear is able to transfer in bind and fly with some other ready to fly kits in bind and fly versions  (Already has the reciever = rx and servos in the aircraft /heli)
2 stroke are cheaper and easier to start. best to keep costs down to start . You may not like it.. I think you will love though. Look on the BMFA classifieds for a deal second hand from some one selling up or moving on.

Happy landings

Gaz

Hi there.

Get a 2.4 ghz tx, your mate, is not quite up to date! I have both a 35mhz and a 2.4ghz and you do not have to worry about other radio's nearby with the 2.4 as it's bound to the reciever you are using, and will not cause interference to other flyers nearby !

I would recommend a foamie 4 channel trainer, as you will crash! After you get used to it and especially the orientation of flying and getting used to the controls, get a more expensive model. You will need to join a club if you are planning on flying an IC power plane, which would also help with learning and setup / tuning etc of your engine.

You could also go electric and still join a club, but have the added benefit of flying most public places such as parks too, with the ease of just taking a battery or two, rather than a toolbox, fuel, starter gear, and starter battery!

Good luck and enjoy!

sounds like it could expensive fire wood. Save the money for a bling aircraft once you've learnt to actually fly. Same as learning to drive really start of with a bit of a lower spec model the later get the Mercades benz when the knocks and scrapes have reduced. 2.4 is safer on the point of less chace of interferance.

Hi Chas and welcome to the forum. Go 2.4 you won't look back. There's a lot of flightline gossip about 2.4 but it's no more than that. Sure the system means there are certain things to do differently compared to 35MHz but if Ali Maschinchy puts £20k's worth of jet in the sky with 2.4 then you should be fine

The engine question is easier to answer when we know what model you have your eye on, there are merits to both.

More than one good reason to check with the club you are likely to go with. One is what radio type will anyone have which can be Buddied up? Buddy box with an experienced flier will get you over what could be a lot of grief.

Given your budget I suggest as long as it meets the above go for 2.4Ghz. Start with a recognised "trainer" model. I doubt you will regret it. Matchwood is possible and common, though I had a novice Grandson flying for 64 flights last summer with nothing more than straightning bent wire undercart on an "Arising Star" and one broken prop.

• 3 weeks later...
Ripmax trainer will be fine, keep it cheap (I had one and it was fine), get a multiple servo deal, get something like a Just Engines Jen 47 in it (if you get the trainer 40). Something like that will get you flying and have a good bit of power to spare. Most ARTF trainers are much the same just pick the one you like the colours of.

Only tip is if you get one with tricycle undercarriage like the Ripmax and you fly off grass then don't bother connecting up the front wheel steering, waste of time, it'll break or cock you about, just secure it pointing straight forwards.

If you prefer something better looking (in scalish sort of way) but at a few more quid what about a Graupner Taxi Cup II? See on AlsHobbies, just set it up with not too much throws as it is a little more 'capable' than some trainers. But, bear in mind you could crash it. Why not get the Ripmax and if you smack it but have improved then see if you are confident enough to get something else. (Im assuming  if you crash it the engine and electronics will survive, depends on the crash but a lot of times they do!)

If you can't afford 2.4Ghz get 35MHz and don't worry about it, don't bother with s/h non comupter based ones though, you'll out grow it wanting other features for your second and third planes most likely. I got a Hitec Optic 6 and its still got pretty much everything I need years later.