Flying on an island the sun

Stratocruiser

My wife and I live here in Crete, Greece. I Bought RCM&E at the airport on the way back here last year and have been totally hooked. That fine publication is now eagerly awaited at the local post office every month.
We have a small model shop 32 kms from where we are living, and a club that flies on Sundays from the ex military airfield at Maleme ( famous for it's part in the fall of Crete in 1941 ) which is about 50 kms away.
My budget is limited as we are still building our house here, so things have to be taken slowly ( as we say in Greek, ciga ciga ). My lovely wife bought me a Futaba 6exp 2.4 ghz set for Christmas and now I am looking to go another step. I have decided firstly to buy a charger / cycler for the nicads in the Futaba. We will be in the UK next week where I prefer to buy ( the Euro rate is rotten at the moment ).
Next I thought I should go for a simulator, the Phoenix will do me just fine, before buying a trainer. The Multiplex Mentor looks quite good to me. I will be all electric as I want to avoid that grimy residue from ic engines, we have more than enough olive oil around here to get fingers mucky !
But, I want to get flying quicker than my budget allows, so I am playing with the idea to get a Kyosho Fly Baby that I can use in a local car park.
Should I be patient and wait, go for the simulator first, or jump straight in now with the Fly Baby?

Advert

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply.
As I have my own radio gear I would rather use my transmitter instead of having it sitting around doing nothing, it's my new toy and I can only play with the set ups so much. Hence my need for a battery cycler.
I thought that the Fly Baby was too light to do any damage, that's why I thought of it. The car park will be empty during the until the end of May, as it is outside a water park.
Your advice to stick with the sim first  is well noted. We leave for London on Tuesday, so let me see what others recommend.
Unfortunately the weather here has just turned for the worse, with a new low for the winter of 8 degrees tonight, with fresh snow falling on the White Mountains. Last week we were sitting out on a terrace at a local bar in 20 degrees !
As far as insurance is concerned I will check it when I am ready  join the Maleme club, but somehow I cannot see them worrying too much about things like that. Maybe they will surprise me.

It has rudder - but yes...no ailerons.
However most of us oldies had to learn on rudder elevator models, and we all progressed to ailerons without difficulty ( well nearly all of them )
A simulator may help with orientation - which is the biggest single hurdle to overcome IMO - but there is no substitute for the real thing, and the VTrainer will withstand mishaps very well - certainly MUCH better than cheap "toys"  or balsa models.
To just experience the orientatioin thing, and get a basic idea of flying an RC model, try the free downloadable FMS simulator. Heres a link
If you like it, then by all means spend some money on a good sim like AFPD, or Phoenix etc