Javelin

Hi All
Well Alan and myself got out early this morning and went to our special site
Got the Javelin (www.sloperacer.co.uk)  set it up by the car    Did a range check ( jitter jitter glitch jitter ) oh poo, Pulled the ariel out of the fuse and stuck it on the side out of the canopy. Tada Fixed, So off to the slope we walked,
I flew the S15 first just to confirm I had redone the CoG proper like, Yep all ok.

So then it was time to hurl the biggen off.

she flew off needin a little trim and the removal of expo.
Super day

Note the little bird, special cake for who ever guess'es

Cheers

Lee

Advert

Dorling was wringing his out on Monday. Bit of a lumbering monster at the side of my racers but steady and straight. A great starter for somebodies first big mouldie. Can't see it being overly competitive though at the side of the front runners. The Ceres, Freestyler, Caldera etc will knock it into a cocked hat in good hands.
That said it is half the price!
The new Skorpion needle seems to be the one to watch and then later this year maslo's new Air one will be available.
It will be time to change up a gear by them Lee so you'll have a seasons racing under your belt and be ready to go see the bank manager!

Well there you go Matthew. Insider knowledge. At one point we had 4 of them chasing us around. They actually don't like rolling over and diving at the ground manouvres but for almost anything else they stay in pretty close formation. Actually this time one of them did make deliberate dives at Lee's S15 and we were sort of forced into taking evasive action. They really do not like their airspace being invaded thats for sure.

By the way Lee hasn't responded as he is working until Saturday and then he has to sit down and work out how to add a deal of elevator compensation for when he is on full crow brakes. It was hard landing that Javelin having to hold loads of forward stick in all the time. Nice aeroplane for general flying though. We haven't tried it with full ballast yet. A pleasure still to come.

Alan

Yes thank you Matthew I do have the GWS A4. However as Lee will tell you I finish what I am currently doing before embarking on another one, especially when it's electrickery and I don't have too much expertise in that area. However I have some flying friends well into electrics and specifically small EDF planes so should get good info from them when the time comes. Must admit I looked at all the bits GWS recommends and at well over the ton for them thought ok, time for a little thought before delving in here. Especially when the kit with the power bits (motor & esc) only retails for about £25 more than the bare one I received, but if you buy the bits separately the motor by itself was £40 odd from Perkins and as I recollect the esc was similar. So time for some reflection before spending my pennies.

And Tim you are ok as a very pointy thing is coming your way this weekend I hear.

See you all soon. Alan

Hi all
Well pretty much as alan said , You should know by now Matthew cakes are only dished out at the Orme so you'd better drag yourself up there with your pointy thing and join us some time .

I have now done the Elev comp on the Javelin so we shall see if I have it right on sat. also the S15 is setup to go again with freshly stuck on covering ( long story involving CoG)

See yall tomorrow

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
Hi folks
Well I raced my Javelin on sat, I totally loved it I found it didnt bite at all,
Thats my first proper F3F race with a 3M model, I am now totally comfortable with landing her as the elev comp is spot on and I had to land 11+ due to the nature of F3F racing,

I have just finished making the balast for it, I want to see what its like full, should be a blast so hopefully going to the LM on thursday to throw the Javelin and the Tragi around and have some fun for the money I have paid out, Getting over the flying notes problem too

You just dont need to spend a fortune to have 3m flying fun

Lee

I think you must be a little lost with the whole point of these models Andy, Its not all about how much money you can throw at it surly, I would say its got more to do with thumbs and wind conditions when your flying your circuit, I am sure I will do ok with the Javelin but remember I do have a PNS Tragi aswell and as far as I am aware the Tragi still compete's well

I love it and at the end of the day thats what matters, I would say my thumb skills aint up to top level so a more expensive model isnt going to make my thumbs any better is it

Lee

I think you will find that when you have run a few more comps you will start to doubt the abilities of your models and begin to look for that extra edge. It usually coincides with your mates consistently beating you. In actual fact there is hardly a bugs nadger between any of then in good air and you should pick the one you like flying the best as you will always get on better with it. however, once that doubt startas to creep in it is very hard to resist.
If you want to be the best, then you have to have the best. Chris Hoy didn't race a raleigh grifter round that track at the olympics did he now......
The guys you have to watch out for are the ones with the best thumbs AND the best models. Course if your thumbs are crap and you have a great model you will still probably do better than a bloke with crap thumbs and a crap model.
A bloke with good thumbs ad a crap model will still most likely beat you though!
You'll see.
Cut your teeth on your Jav and Tragi....there is a reason the top lads aren't flying them any more.
Andy

Well Alan and myself had the best day's flying for a long time today , Got the Javelin up full of lead ( started with half and worked my way up ) went right well , I threw it around and gave it loads of abuse and it didn't bite once, Hooray for me ,
I understand what your saying andy and agree to a point, I dont earn a fortune so my hanger is resticted by that, BUT I feel I could do well in a race with either the Tragi or the Jav as they are still quick models,
I noticed that the Tragi is quicker than the Jav , Not by alot but then we are talking sub 40sec's for a whole race so that little bit will turn into alot, I will race with both and see how I get on, I am going to Lundy soon for a flying holiday , that should help alot as I will be joined by some of the best UK pilots, sure there will be some hints and tips coming my way

See you on the slope

Lee