'Tooting Popular Front' on its way?

Pete B

Erfolg said in another thread:

This era sees, public bodies leving fines for, incorrect disposal of house refuse, parking, late returns on tax, late receipt of Road fund payment, etc.

Private business does not generally need these signs.

In general poor service leads to reduced business, which can lead to the demise of a company. This is not so with our Public servants. Who press ever ahead with policy that many find unacceptable.

There is no excuse for being rude. Anger and frustation may say something about the society that has been created, as well as the individual.

You are spot on, mate!
This country is suffering from the over-creation of regulations and unaccountable, largely anonymous factions who have been given relatively unlimited powers to exact fines and other penalties upon their fellow citizens.

By way of an example, last week my MIL helped out a disabled friend by taking her to a shopping centre. The friend took her disabled parking badge with her but placed it upside-down on the dashboard. A ticket for £50 was duly issued by a 'click, lick, stick and runner'. Is it worth appealing the fine - not a chance! The parking company - note no public accountability - won't let its income go that easily. They stick to the strictest letter of the 'regulations' - something they made up, not legislated - and ignore any attempt at mitigation.

I spent 30 years in the police and I can state categorically that, had those circumstances arisen during my service, it would have been unthinkable not to have cancelled the charge immediately. As for accountability and regulation, I don't think people realised just how well off we were when, for example, the police had control of traffic regulation, for and on behalf of the public.

Nowadays, there are countless tiny-minded people who have been given  powers way beyond their intellect and wit and for whom 'natural justice and morality' is an alien concept. I believe there are about 1400-1500 organisations who have now been authorised to exact penalties. Unfortunately I cannot see any politician with the courage to sweep them away and re-think the whole thing. I think it would need a revolution now

Bah, I'm off to walk the dog - making sure I have a poo bag with me!

Pete

Advert