Servos

My 80" stuka will be needing servos soon- 12 of the little blighters.

2 ailerons in the wings need to be micro I think, the rest can be standard. 

I don't want to bankrupt myself, so would like to keep it in the region of £100 for the lot.  Can you recommend any?

ps set up is like this, and it's a Futaba receiver.

1*Throttle
1*Rudder + Tail
1*Elevator
2*ailerons (limited room)
2*dive brakes (ineffective- more for show)
4*Flaps
1*bomb drop.

Advert

Well I thought it was a reasonable figure- the overall budget will be.......well that depends really- I think the siren is going to be expensive.

The thing is that servos seem to be a minefield of price and performance.  It appears you have a multitude of brands, and that cost and speed and torque are not always related.  I don't really have any idea of what my "base" limits are.  Obviously more speed and torque is better than less- but what are the minimums I should be aiming at?

Looking at hobbycity last night I came up with the following that all seemed promising:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=3743

All these were rated 5/5 by customers.  Sorry for the underline- it won't let me take it off! 

They range from a digital high torque (5.8kg) servo for $22.75 to a micro servo with 1.6kg of torque for $3.65.

The problem I have is there is another standard servo in the list with 9.7kg of torque, same 0.12 speed as the digital but it only costs $12.95.  What do I get for my $10 (and it's not just they are digital- this kind of price variation is common)?  And what kind of torque do I need?

The main thing you need in a model like this one, Andy, is reliability, so personally I would go with a recognized brand, not some far-eastern cheapies. If you are using Futaba radio, then you can't go far wrong with Futaba servos. Standard 3001 on most surfaces, maybe splash out on the the cheaper digitals (3152) for rudder & elevator. 

Cheap servos could prove to be very expensive when they cause the premature demise of a model that has taken much time and effort to build.

ok, but what kind of torque do I need?

Working on the basis more torque=more cost then I don't want to buy servos that are too weak (obviously), but I also don't want to waste money on excessive torque I don't need.

The 3001's look fine to me- about the right price too- is 3kg enough?

The 3001s really are good to illustrate the point here though.  What about the 3003?

Both the 3001 and 3003 have the same speed; but the 3003 has 3.2kg of torque compared to the 3kg of the 3001, so is slightly stronger.  The 3001 is ballraced, the 3003 isn't- does that matter?  The 3003 is half the price.

I am more than happy with standard futaba servos, as long as I know they will be up to the job, and not massively over budget!

The ballraces help to make the 3001 more reliable, I have had plenty of them in use for years, never a problem. I am sure the torque will be enough for a scale model, as you won't be using large surface deflections. If you really need more torque, then consider a 6v rx battery, or even separate supplies for rx and servos (I have a gadget upstairs for that, optical isolator that also allows different batteries for rx and servos, you can have it for £20  if it's any use to you).

I reckon the S3001 are good value too - you can get deals on them which would work out at around £120 for the dozen you require - a bit over your budget, but not much.
Also remember that digitals, although perhaps more prcise, are un-necessary for certain functions like flaps for instance. I prefer ball bearing output shafts over digital electronics ona  £ for £ basis.
Digitals also use more juice from you power supply system which I hope you have given due consideration to.
Again, on a nice scale model like this, I recommend you do not skimp here....

BTW, you mention using micro servos in the wing - personally, I would never  
use them in anything IC powered as the feedback pots are very fragile. Fine in low vibration environments, like electric models or gliders, but never in an ic model

hello andy-i would also go with the flow-get the best you can afford-showtime will be with us shortly am sure you'll get what you need for a decent price--stay in for a couple of night's be a good lad--keep you on the team with her indoor's and bingo a box of futaba 3001's.........happy stuka.....

ken anderson..............................

Hi, i have a Great Planes Super Stearman, 1.20 size, and great planes reccommend that futaba 3003 servo's are fitted.
This aeroplane is about 14Lbs in weight, the only mod i carried out was to fit a servo again a Futaba 3003, to each elevator half, just to build in a bit of redundancy.
A lot of hype is talked about regarding servo power, i have a Precedent Stampe 1/4 scale which was produced (kit) in the early 80's and all that was available then was a standard servo of a lot less power than is available now, and it does fly well on standard Sanwa servo's.
So even though the new digital servo's do add a lot of holding power, a lot of aeroplanes do not need the the extra holding power, perhaps it is a " Bling" thing?
ON a different note, taking new technology in to account, is using the new Futaba 2.4 gig radio, the response time is is greatly improved, ie you move the stick and the control surface moves but with a much better authority than with 35 mgz.
So perhaps the ideal would be Futaba 3003 servo's with the new 2.4 gig technology?
Regards
Chris

I've had a 3001 fail on a Dualsky 260, probably a pot issue since the control surface jittered all over the place.

I've got some TowerPro MGs that drove some cupboard doors for a couple of years.

The cheaper servos I use for the indoor season.

However it Hitec that I prefer for anything to fly a a club.  The digital Hitecs feel more responsive and consistent with no trim drift.

I believe you should reserve £20-25 for the alierons and elevator, then say £8-16 for rudder and throttle and the rest can be towards the budget end.

Investing in the important control surfaces adds to peace of mind and piles on the flying pleasure.

Andy