Scorpion Brushless Motors

Been looking at the range of scorpion brushless on Micron R/C website (really helpful guys) 
Here is a very useful comparison chart of all there Scorpion motors against most others on the market.

Has anyone got any comments on these?

Advert

I have been pleased with mine - power achieved as stated in their specs.

there is a strong following of scorpion motors and I think there is a forum run by the main dealer in the USA with a load of info.  Do a google search for it.  I did have it on my desktop but a computer crash wiped it all out

john

forum referred to above is

all 300 plus pages and some 4500 postings - from which you will gather a feeling for the quality and level of support offered to scorpion owners.  site also contains a useful table of watts Vs 2 stroke engine equivalents

john

A few months ago I wrote an article comparing Scorpions and Axis for torque, output and efficiency using a dynamometer.  It was published on this site and may well still be here somewhere - but I can't seem find it.

My main conclusions were that Scorpions were superior in output to Axis, and at least equivalent in efficiency.  The overall build standard is, however, not as good as Axi.

I have a lot of Scorpions now, including a special wind 200kv version of the 4035 size that's going in my GP Super Stearman - max output 2.5kW (3.4bhp).  Not bad out of a 430g motor.  You do get a lot of bang for your buck with Scorpions, although this has been hit recently by the worsening exchange rate.

Ed

Thanks Ed, i'm really coming round to these great motors, read lots of good reports on them!
You certainly get value for many when comparing them with much more expensive motors.
I'll try & do a search for your article, should be here somewhere.. Dave?

At first, Ralph Okon (of transl...www.powercroco.de) amp-abuser and motor-builder per excellence was very sceptical about the new Scorpion make, especially, like me, about the maximum temperature claimed for the magnets. He vented his opinion in a very Teutonic way right between the eyes i.e. Now he's an afficionado (user 'scorpionfan' on RCGroups), he also vented that in a very Teutonic way He uses the Scorpion kits for very high power motors e.g.

Developments/experiences from him and his Powercroco forum go straight into the Scorpion designs e.g. (see pics below). A 5030 development for F3A pattern planes (remember, you read it here first)

There's no commercial relationship between him and Scorpion, Ralph earns his money as a medical doctor.

www.innov8tivedesigns.com sells kit versions, for even better efficiency and power.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren

Edited By Ron van Sommeren on 18/03/2009 18:28:21