Futaba 7C Programming

Martyn Johnston

Advert

AIRBRAKE.

I'm half delighted and half really, really fed up with my new Futaba 7C 2.4GHz t/x.
I've only spent an hour playing with it, and I've been working too many hours recently, so if I'm mistaken I'll come back here and appologise for being tired and stupid.

I'm trying to set it up on a first plane and now have ailerons(ch1&6), elevator(ch2), rudder(ch4), throttle(ch3) set up all OK.
As a first excercise I'm trying to set up the Airbrake function (according to the manual (p52) it's easy !).
I've turned Flaperon ON, as directed by the manual, and now have flaps on the fiddly little rotating knob thing.
Now this is the bit that's confusing me; the manual says that AIRBRAKE HAS to be on switch 'G'.  (I cannot see how to change it). But when you set it it only works on switch 'D' (a 3-position switch). In looking into this I'm getting the impression that switches 'D' and 'G' are not in the same places on US and UK models. Am I right? I can't imagine why this should be the case, - hopefully I'm confused.
If I am right and the manual is designed for the US then we have switches in the wrong place here in UK.
I DON'T want the airbrake on a 3-position switch (would be OK if it used all 3 positions but it doesn't).

Can one of you gurus out there help me?
Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a super piece of kit really.

I read that there's a book about the FF7, by Ann Marie Cross. Anyone know if it's relevant for the 7C 2.4GHz?
Martyn

CROW.
My 2nd question to ask for advice programming the 7C (2.4GHz) t/x.

I really, really need to set up a glider with one servo for each of the two flaps and one for each of the two ailerons, ie four servos for the wings (and normal rudder and elevator).
I want all four controls to act as (full-length) ailerons, and then the inner two to act as flaps for CROW (hopefully using the throttle stick but I suppose a switch would do).
PLEASE don't tell me this can't be done, and that I've wasted an awful lot of money.
If it can be done can anyone point me in the right direction.
Martyn

I have edited your previous posts a bit for language Martyn.
 We really dont like bad language on here
Now to the problem.......I am  aJR man m'self, but the problem of switches "being in the wrong places " is very common, and I have it on mt Spekky stuff too. Its to do with modes and countries yes.... for instance the positions of mix and flap switches  are reversed to what it shows in the manual for my DX7, as they were on my PCM9XII.
You may be able to get around switch assignment by using a "free mix" rather than the dedicated "flaperon" mix to set up the flaps / airbrakes - most sets allow switch asignment on free mixes.
I am sure you can set up crow on it, but may well have to do something similar to the above also. With crow braking, dont you set up the flaps as down and the spoilers as up to get the best of both efffects? In this case the flaps would need to be dedicated flap channel and servos, and the spoilers would be set up as spoilerons - again the throttle lever should be  bale to be set up to activate the required settings . I have this oin my DX7 coupled with the 3 way flight mode sw. N = normal ailerons, pos1 = small reflex on ailerons to improve forward speed - active only when thrttle is high, and pos 3 gives full spoileron deflection with throttle at idle. This last position would then just need another free mixer setting up to bring on the flapperons, but I dont have flaps fitted to that particualr model.

What a quick reply Timbo.
The logic of what you say is exactly what I want, it's just annoying when they tell you something and it doesn't work.

I'll refer back to your post when I get to the 'mixes' bit of the manual. I haven't got to that page yet. I'm currently just learning the basics while expecting it to do all of the clever stuff straight away !

I'm hoping people will now use this thread to post 7C programming ideas to help each other out.
Hopefully in easy to follow,

I give up with the Futaba 7C.
Looked a lovely peice of kit, but it just didn't do what I bought it for.
I've now returned it to Slough RC Models where I bought it from. They were very helpful in trying to get it to work, but it just won't.
After many, many emails back and forth between me and Futaba technical support I have finally concluded that this transmitter is not capable of what I wanted it for.

This is only minor, but it seems from the instruction manual that there are two 7C transmitters available with different switch arrangements. (page 11 shows the 'Airplane' t/x and page 12 shows the 'Heli' t/x). It looks like we only have the one type here in the UK, but it seems (according to Futaba) to be the Heli type with the Airplane software and instructions.

This is much more fundamental; I know it's advertised as being good for AIrplane and Heli, but I assumed it would also be good for gliders. I bought it thinking the 7C was a massive upgrade from my ageing Sanwa 6 channel t/x, but it's not (even the Sanwa could do crow braking properly).
It's really not as capable as I expected, and the help Futaba sent me is definitely wrong.

I really, really want full-span ailerons, and Crow on my glider.
The 7C only seems to have Airbrake and even that doesn’t work as the manual describes.
Futaba have said “Full span ailerons is not possible on that transmitter as there are not enough mixes. You would need a 9C or higher for that.”

Although this 7C was at the top end of my budget I have been looking around at which other transmitter will do what I want.
Ripmax have told me that Futaba are introducing a version of the 10C that is 2.4GHz only. (I looked at the current 10C, but it has two aerials, 35MHz and 2.4GHz; and looks awful). This new one seems to be called the T10CG, but I can’t confirm that. This should be available in the UK by May/June this year. If so, and if it’s not too expensive, I’ll buy that one instead.

If you're looking for a t/x for a plane or helicopter it's a lovely transmitter, but if you're looking for a good one for gliding I'd think carefully about what you want it to do.

• 3 years later...

I have a Futaba FF7 CHP 35Mhz Tx and I understand that the programming is identical to the later 2.4GHz version.

It really is most infuriating and disappointing that flaperon or airbrake on the Ch6 rotary knob cannot be set up with this Tx.

I've been trying to do this on an HK ASK 21 Mi glider with motor pod raising and lowering on Ch5 with the L/H top 2 position switch, next to 'E', which is a blank that covers what presumably can be another switch. What is needed, I think, is both ailerons to work as flaps (down position 30%) and elevator up 10%.

Is there some way that this problem can be overcome?

• 8 months later...

I've had a Futaba 7c on 35MHz for a few years now and love it! I've recently purchased my first large model with twin Elevator servo's, I have two servos on the ailerons which is my norm. However I can't work out how to programme the transmitter to work the elevators on two servos (one servo for the right and one for the left elevator\).

Hopefully someone can enlighten me!
Thanks

Derek - assuming you have an unused mixer (p-mix) and an unused channel (5, 6 or 7) all you need to do is use the mixer to mix that channel to elevator (channel 2) e.g. master channel 2, slave channel 5. Make sure the servo plugged in to Rx port 2 is moving the correct way, then, if the other servo moves the wrong way, change the mix from +100% to -100% or vice versa. If you are still stuck let me know and I'll find my 7C manual!

Graeme

John

I don't think the7c has an ailvator on the second screen?

Graeme

I have unused mixes - I've tried Channel 2 +either channel 5 or7. Both channels will move when a switch is turned on (trainer switch for one channel and the front right hand switch on the top of the tranny for the other) I have had up movement but very little down.

I'm still confused but appreciate the replies!

John

I don't think the7c has an ailvator on the second screen?

Graeme

I have unused mixes - I've tried Channel 2 +either channel 5 or7. Both channels will move when a switch is turned on (trainer switch for one channel and the front right hand switch on the top of the tranny for the other) I have had up movement but very little down.

I'm still confused but appreciate the replies!

it definatley does on page A3 cos ive got my edge set up that way, turn it on, press and hold Mode / page and the B1 screen with model, d/r, expo, e.point etc will come up

then do not scroll but press Mode/page again, the A1 p-mix page should come up, use the cursors to get to A3 and AILVATOR is between ELEVON and AIL-RUD

Derek,

With the TX you've got these are 3 options:

1) Use two programmable digital servos connected via a 'Y' lead and program one servo to be reversed

2) Use two analogue servos with one connected via a servo reversor

3) Use two analogue servos connected via a 'Y' lead and alter the wiring inside the servo to reverse it.

I've tried the mixing option and whilst it works you'll find that the elevator trim only moves one of the servos.

Regards,

Robert

Derek - my older 7C on 35MHz does not have ailevator, my later 2.4GHz does. That' s why I suggested using a free mixer. Did you start off with an unused or reset memory? If not you may have something turned on which you don't want. For example, on page 49 of the manual it shows how to set switch assignment to "null" so that the mix is always active (you DO NOT want to be able to turn it off!). Use of p-mixers is explained page 53 onwards but twin elevators are not mentioned, which is odd. Have you looked at the Futaba web site? There may be a detailed explanation on there. Transmitter programming is relatively easy when you have it in your hands but not so easy if you haven't. The only model I have with twin elevator servos uses an even older FF6 transmitter. If you are still stuck, let me know and I'll program my 35Mhz 7C for that aircraft and then send you details of all mixes and switch assignments etc.

Graeme

PS Roberts post above was done while I was typing mine. With the FF6 the elevator trim moves both elevator servos. I don't understand why it doesn't on the  7C, unless it's a consequence of having digital trims rather than mechanical ones as on the FF6. I'll have a look at that in the morning.

Edited By graeme jones on 31/10/2013 21:26:26

Derek - isn't it funny how memory can play tricks? I've now checked my Accipiter, which uses two elevator servos, but it doesn't use mixes, 'cos they don't work as expected on the FF6 either, despite the manual stating "You can use both PMX's to create a custom dual elevator function". Well yes, you can, but like the 7C, only one servo responds to the elevator trim, so I used a Ylead and took the linkage from the top of one servo and the bottom of the other, mounting the servos so that the angles were the same to give equal movement. If you can't do that you could use a Futaba servo one side and a Hitec the other. They have opposite rotations for a given stick movement.

I've also checked the Futaba web site FAQ's. The problem of the second servo not responding to trim is covered. Futaba's answer is to buy a 9C Tx!!!

Graeme

Edited By graeme jones on 01/11/2013 13:10:50