Beware the AR500 Rx

Tim Mackey

Despite the assurances from Horizon Hobbies that ALL Spektrum Rx shipped since April of 2008 are fitted with the latest firmware giving instant "quick connect" in the event of a brown out - it is my experience that this is not so.
I have recently purchased 2 x AR500 Rx units from two different suppliers in the last 3 weeks and NEITHER unit was QC enabled .
                              The first test I do with every RX purchased is for QC.
Heres the procedure
Ensure correct binding is done to the Tx first.
Then, switch on in normal correct sequence ( TX then RX ).
Disconnect power to the Rx by whatever means appropriate ( unplug battery, switch off etc etc ) and reconnect instantly.
Do not touch the TX during the testing at all.
If the Rx LED is now flashing then QC is enabled.
HOWEVER, if LED remains solid then it is not.  Even if it is flashing ensure that the receiver has actually reconnected correctly by observing how long it takes for it to regain control of the servos - this should be no more than a few milliseconds - if its like a couple of seconds or so, then it needs sending in for firmware upgrade.
The ONLY way to tell if you have suffered a brown out in a model with a properly configured QC Rx is by the fact that the LED will be flashing when you land.
IT is soooo fast when properly setup that you will NOT even notice in flight .

I sent both units to HH in the UK and to their credit they were returned 2 days later, updated and  with a note, but frankly its not good enough that I should have to do that, or indeed suffer the cost of postage to them.
This seems to only affect the AR500 and considering this is a relatively new model I am very surprised at this lapse. Early models were noted to have this problem, and many people on the US forums were discussing this issue ( me included ) last year.
I have been checking with suppliers before purchasing over the latter half of last year, that any Rx I order was QC before they shipped to me, but did not bother on these last two occasions as I fully expected them to be right.
Do not underestimate the importance of this feature.

Address;
Horizon Hobby UK
Units 1 to 4 Ployters Road
Staple Tye,
Southern Way,
Harlow,
ESSEX CM18 7NS

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 04/07/2009 08:08:23

Advert

Interesting, I will check all of mine. From my earlier post;

I flew the Thunderbolt with the AR500 receiver today. Absolutely no range problems at all (apart from the old eyes).

Interestingly, the range test with this model was at least double the distance achieved against 2 other AR500 receivers. My friends Tribute remained unflown today due to a poor range check. Reception was lost at low power after only 20 paces. We repeated the test with the RX out of the model, with another TX and finally with a 3rd RX which had flown successfully. In all cases, 20 strides was the best range achieved.

I spoke to Horizon Hobbies and was assured that this was acceptable as the reduction of power was based on the higher power outputs used in the US. Certainly the RX that had flown showed sufficient range at normal power. Just seems strange that the AR500 in the Thunderbolt had such a good range, we gave up after 50 paces!

What range check distances are others getting?

I've checked all mine now and re-read the manual on 'brown out'. My test method was to remove the power supply to the receiver for as brief a time as possible. Providing the disconnection was brief, control was returned after 3 to 4 seconds and the LED flashed to indicate 'brown out'. In none of my AR500 receivers was control restored instantly.
I compared this response to an AR7000 and an JR 921, in both cases control was restored instantly.
All 4 AR500s have been purchased over the last 8 weeks.

1 second is not as bad as some - one of my earliest AR500s took almost 10 seconds to connect after brownout - completely unsuitable. It sounds as though yours is QC enabled, especially as the LED is flashing - however, its still relatively slow, and you must decide if its good enough. I know what I would do, as 1 second can be a long time without control on some of my models the way I fly. After upgrading by HH I estimate all of mine are just  a few milliseconds.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 25/03/2009 22:39:04

But if you do have sufficient power to run the receiver and servos you should have no problems with brownouts

The receiver is in that cassut in my avatar <<< it is currently out of the air due to mysterious dead sticks, just got the tank out and the filler and vent copper pipes have just split :s

Edited By Peter Savage on 25/03/2009 22:47:30

• 1 month later...
Found that my AR500, bought in October, had about a four second recovery time. Sent it off from here in deepest south-west France last Monday and it arrived back today, exactly one week later. Now instantaneous recovery so well pleased with result and with speed of Horizon UK's service. Thanks!

Pete

It certainly is not quick enough IMO - fine if you are flying high and wide etc, but no darn good at all if your expensive model is being flown low and fast down the strip - inverted
His is most definately old firmware.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 28/04/2009 21:49:02

• 3 weeks later...
I sent my AR500 back for the firmware update to HH uk (because of the slow quick connect time) on a Tuesday and got it back 2 days later on the Thursday.
Well done Horizon Hobby for the quick & excellent service.