Wild Thing, Fusion or ........

Advert

Ross,

Doesn't matter what it looks like.

With 4oz ballast it will fly well in 12mph to 25mph, as opposed to flying poorly  in 10 mph without any.

It is very  sensitive to elevator trim and one click of up or down makes a lot of difference,

Neil,

about time you maidened that fusion!

Peter,

Work has got in the way and the last few week ends the ice in the hills has dragged me away on my other hobby. I have been monitoring the wind for Friday through to Sunday but its predicted northerly which is perfect for Bosley Cloud but the wind speed is only 8 - 9mph. So fingers crossed wind speeds will increase.

Posted by Peewhit on 10/02/2010 20:51:47:
Ross,

It is very  sensitive to elevator trim and one click of up or down makes a lot of difference,

Neil,

How much reflex (is that the correct term?) i.e elevon up to I set since it's so sensitive to elevator? It's not really dealt with in the instructions other than the darwing.
I guess you have to adjust the mixing so elevator side of things is limited and controllable but the ailerons can give full travel to keep roll rates higher. Or just use massive expo on elevator??
I won't get a chance to build this for a while but considering the scottish weather just now it's no biggy, grumble.

The Yorkshire weather is no better Ross.

The elevator travel does need to be limited as opposed to the ailerons which  need to be "full".

It depends upon which Tx you have.

I use a Spektrum DX7, and you need to limit the aileron throws using the dual rate function.

What Tx do you have?

Reluctant to post anything other than a question of the sloping section these days in case i fall foul of one the RCM&E columnist rants.

But as i do have a fusion 46 and found the control surface movements in the instructions a good starting point I would say you might do worse than following those to begin with.

For me, those movements, were fine to begin with but I think i have a bit more aileron and a good bit less elevator now.

Caveats: I am not the most skilled stick twiddler, I have only been sloping 2 years, my fusion is a bit heavy than recommended at 31 oz and seemingly you should never take advise from an internet forum.Although with out this forum I would have been stuck many, many times........

"Posted by Peewhit on 10/02/2010 22:50:47:

The elevator travel does need to be limited as opposed to the ailerons which  need to be "full".

I use a Spektrum DX7, and you need to limit the aileron throws using the dual rate function.

What Tx do you have?  "

Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz, should do the mixing. I don't think it will be dual rates that will limit  the elevator though, it must be in there under one of the mixes to restrict elevator but keep aileron throws full when together.  I'll worry iabout it when I get there. Like I said, won't get to build this soon, off to Val D'isere, different kind of sloping!

Posted by Ross Pert on 11/02/2010 17:58:35:
"Posted by Peewhit on 10/02/2010 22:50:47:

What Tx do you have?  "

Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz, should do the mixing. I don't think it will be dual rates that will limit  the elevator though, it must be in there under one of the mixes to restrict elevator but keep aileron throws full when together.  I'll worry iabout it when I get there. Like I said, won't get to build this soon, off to Val D'isere, different kind of sloping!

I think you are going to be looking for "end point adjust" to tame the elevator down. Thats what its called on my Futaba T9CP anyway. I think its a fair bet its called the same on your set. Hopefully someone with the same set can confirm this.

Yes, end point adjustment will reduce the servo throws yet it will also reduce the aileron throw as well as the elevator.

What is needed is full throw for aileron and reduced throw for elevator.

On the 6EX, activate elevon mixing and use the %age settings in this program to set the correct aileron movement.

Then use the elevator dual rate settings to reduce the throw for elevator only.
I would suggest setting both dual rates to the same %age so that the dual rate switch then does not change the throw.

The Fusion 60 is still sitting here waiting for its maiden and after the discussion on elevon throws I thought I would check mine this evening. I have a 6EXA and the method from Peewhit worked a treat to make some minor amendments.

Checked the weight to and it comes out at a heavy 1000g rather than the 800g from the plan. I have the ability to add another 100g if needed in a real blow.

From the discussion earlier it seems that 900g is optimum. Is 1000g to heavy ?

Have attached a pic of the heavy beast.......wish wind and weekend would coincide !!!!!

Edited By Neil Sinclair on 15/02/2010 21:05:35