Wild Thing, Fusion or ........

Advert

He's been saying that for at least 5 years now
Also, not sure about the claim on the 60 versus 46 - the 60 may fly in slightly better speed range, but the 46 is quicker in manouveres, and also tougher on the bounce!
I referred a friend to AH only the other day and even he talked him into a 46 instead of his planned 60.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 28/12/2009 21:12:57

Of course, I am being slightly provocative in a light hearted way......
Most of the above statements can be easily proven /disproven given the many variables involved in flying models. The weight of the models, the wind conditions, the pilots skill, the way the model is setup - contol throws etc etc. On any given day my 46" would eat your 60" for breakfast, and yours could then very likely have mine for supper
They are both excellent models, and I do like the 60" as it is more stable and easy to see being larger. It also flies in lower wind speed than my 46", but mine is a bit porky now, having consumed large quantities of hot glue, FG tape, and reinforcing ply and spars etc.
I just love the way the 46" can be chucked in the boot, and I NEVER go to the slope without it....

Me too, my 46" is always in the boot.
The 60" would not fit.

Don't worry about the reinforcement as they do fly better with ballast!!!

Having made a decision, I suppose we always regret it in some way.

A friend has the 60" which seems to eat spots off my 46", but he is a better pilot.

Notwithstanding the above, what else do you launch to "test the water" (air?) before committing something a little more valuable?

• 4 weeks later...
SO which one's best then, the fusion 46 or the wild thing 60 ?? I want one of em but cant decide, I say one, I would have both if I thought I could get away with it! I want Alan to think I pretty sure when I phone with the order oo but which one

Depends on how experienced you are and how much room you have in the boot.

The 60" versions do fly better than the 46" - despite what Allan will say about roll rate etc.

The Wild Thing is easier to handle and will fly in a wide wind range.

The Fusion really needs some ballast to perform well, and with 12mph+  it does perform well.

It is faster and more aerobatic than the Wild Thing, yet less forgiving.

The fusion tends to fly in two ways - either wallowing about or heading for the valley floor at a fast rate of knots.
Hence it needs to fly faster when "level" and the answer to this is ballast.

Just make a second hatch behind the first and on the CofG.

I used a plywwod base with a bolt epoxied to it and bits of lead with holes in but just burying a chunk of lead will have the same effect.

Then trim down the foam removed, put it back and tape over.

About four ounces of ballast is fine but you may need a bit more in winds of 20mph+

Neil.

Had the pics on file anyway, so no problem.

Used that stanley knife yet then?

Adam,

You will not be disappointed with the WT 60" - go for it and have fun.

Hope to maiden the Typhoon tomorrow so quite excited.

Edited By Peewhit on 26/01/2010 21:37:43

I've got a SAS BLOB but not had enough guts to chuck it off the hill, thought I could shake off the neves with something that bounces Guess they fly differently but I need to get used to that hard stuff at the bottom of the sky, my poor 'ol Middle Phase finally cracked up after years of running out of sky . I can only sleep sound at night after drinking a gallon of Horlicks

I have a Middle Phase if you want it Adam.

The inside of the fus has crude but effective  glassfibre reinforcement from the wing area forward.

Has had some pretty hard smashes but even I have not maneged to break it (yet).

Have recently put two Multiplex Nano servos in the wing so, as far as Middle Phases go, it is all singing, all dancing.

It is said that every glider will fly at least once - 'tis the first landing that counts!

HMM need to practice them as mine seem more like the ground reachin up and grabin it! still got the wing in one bit, thought I might have a go at building a fus that would take a fly cam in it ,or something like that, seeing as the weather isnt playin ball at the mo

• 2 weeks later...
I've just bought a Fusion 46" and a bit stuck with how to get a smooth tape covering on the rounded parts such as the wing tips and the fuse?  Has anyone got any photos showing how they've managed - just lots of cuts in the tape and overlaps??  A photo would be a great help, thanks folks

Ross

Hi Ross - and welcome aboard.
You have it just about nailed mate - there is no easy way to do compound curves - I always find the nose on the wildthing / fusion especially tricky to do. Some advocate very gentle heat on the tape as you pull it into shape, but beware...it soon stretches so much that whitish bloom marks will appear. Frankly, after a few arrivals or hits, the perfect finish you strive for will be scuffed anyway.

Hi Ross,

As Timbo says, do not aim for perfection as your beautiful finish will soon be a bit marred.

For compound curves, just overlap smaller strips, starting at the back and working towards the front.

I have a 46" Fusion and found that it will either "wallow around"  or head for the valley floor at a fair rate of knots.

Four ounces of ballast on the C of G solves the problem nicely

Thanks Timbo.
All the ( far distant) piccys and videos I've seen of the Fusions & Wildthings look like they have really smooth or film coverings but I guess up close they would look a bit less 'moulded wing'! 
As for scuffed landings, I've got three feet soft heather up here at most of my LZs so you have to put some real effort in to scratch up the belly

Peewit - I notice Alan is pretty clear about not adding ballast but it's blows pretty strong round here so I reckon I'll give your mod a pop. 4oz it is.  Do you struggle in lighter winds with that  :. remove some, or not notice?

Quick responses round here eh! Thanks guys.