EZE-Fan builders

Radders

You cannot get more of a compliment than that. I didn't want to take any business out of rcm&e plans service by saying I do have a plan and if couldn't get hold of one, let me know and I will try to get it copied from somewhere. It has yellowed a little bit but the important stuff is still there.
I love the hawk, I have extended the nose by nearly two inches to help balance the slightly heavy 2500kv brushless in the back and smallest prop I could find. It has a 3 cell 1300 mah battery up front, the noise from the prop is quiet loud but it goes like crazy ( I like fast planes :) ) I think with the new motors from BRC you wouldn't even have to extend the front to balance it out anymore.

I am already saving some money for the twin edf that has been mentioned after feeling the power of the 'fan'

Advert

I am having great dificulty getting a hawk plan. Have tried RCM&E and ebay (relentlesly) so if there is a chance of someone leting me have a copy (with Nigel's permission of course) that would be great.

Flew the Eze-Fan tonight on its maiden, goes like stink! Nice one Nigel, oh and the sound is fantastic!

More n00b questions.

1. Hinges - Do you use tape (if so are there any rcommendations)? Or something like this?http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=147

2. Control horns. Can I use something like this and should they be glued or use nut/bolts? Is the balsa too thin? http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=525

3. How do you make the angle on the alieron hinges? Just sand away?

Sorry for some many n00b questions but I really would like to have a go rather than get another ARTF.

Thanks

Hi Trex, I hope I can answer your questions in order that you dont go back to ARTF as there OK but nothing compared to balsa dust, large sheet of plans, selecting the bits n bobs etc. I could go on!

Question 1: You could use fuzzy cyno type hinges as you have seen at BRC. However, on this model, I and I would think most have used tape. I use Sellotape Diamond Ultra Clear. Its waterproof and nice to use and avail at WH Smith. 1 roll lasts for yonks. this brings me to answer question 3 next if using tape.

question 3: Angle on aileron is acheived with sanding block and the aileron on the edge of the work bench (dining roon table)and sand in even strokes to you get the angle (about 30 degrees should be ok). Then once the model is covered, tape the aileron's on. tape both sides of aileron and make sure the aileron is fully deflected when you apply the tape otherwise it will be very stiff in use. Incidently, do the elevator the same way. one angle and tape again both sides. The tape seals the wing to aileron giving you no where for the air to escape, but thats aerodynamics!

Question 2: thos horns will be fine, you will need 3 in total.

Hope all this waffle helps!

Nicholas - those are the very servos I have used on two of my three EZE-FAN prototypes and they are ideal.
Cheap, reliable and powerful enough for the job without undue current consumption.
I have actually used the "Titch" 5g servos on a 150-watt example with no issues even after 100+ flights; I think some flyers put a little too much emphasis on servo torque requirements!
If you fly smoothly and use the controls progressively (as I have to in order to maintain orientation having only one useful eye following a penetrating eye injury some years ago) you will never strip a servo gear in flight. The only time I have stripped gears on other models is by landing in long grass when the servo horn has snagged, but this is unlikely to happen on the EZE-FAN as I designed it with the aileron horns ABOVE the ailerons, and with the tailplane (and hence elevator horn) well raised to avoid this happening.
Hope this helps!

Ha Ha, now building my second EZE-Fan as my last one stoofed in (parachuting term) the other day! reason for crash was either a glitch or the elevator coming away from the tailplane due to using a solarfilm hinge which I think came away! Ailerons were attcahed using diamond tape, no probs there! anyway, it went in at a rate of notes and exploded, but not one servo, esc, battery, fan shroud or motor damaged! just an EZE-Fan re-kitted! Mark 2 will be better!

point to note- Solarfilm does not stick well to itself!!

Many thanks for this information, it is being able to talk to the designer on a forum such as this that makes this hobby so great ( you try talking to the man who designed your vauxhall car and see where you get :) )

I am almost ready to start covering but admit to one small mishap in measuring the canopy so it now sits an extra 1/4" higher than yours. I don't think it will affect it too much but had to apply an extra piece of balsa above where the boom meets the canopy just for cosmetics sake (I will post some pictures soon)

My local model shop didn't have the aileron stock so have made my own now also (need to get a better mask for balsa dust sanding)

You may remember my previous post re the power train. I am going to try my setup after checking all my config, Airpower 6 blade fan, 2200 20-28c battery and 40amp esc. Static power up in the shed gives about 37amp and expect that to reduce to around 35amp in the air (big guess as I don't know EDF's at all) so nothing will be working at maximum. I will check the amount of thrust before flying though, it might be a bit quick of the blocks but the faster they are the less people fly at the same time in my club so lots of free air space.

Anyway, Thanyou very much again for the info

My pleasure sir - the whole point of releasing free plans is to allow like-minded modellers to enjoy the thing to the full, and the availability of these forums does allow a far more accessible pool of information which I hope to be able to contribute to as much as possible.

SY - The EZE-FAN was actually designed to sacrifice itself in a crash to save all the expensive stuff...

...And if you believe THAT you'll believe ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a note to everyone that I have removed three of the six blades in the fan and have lowered the draw from 39amps to 29amps. It only took about 20 minutes including balancing it afterwards.
I have started to cover mine now so it may be ready for the weekend depending on work etc
That means I am pulling around 13c but is about the best I can get with the current setup, and boy does it throw some air out

You may even find that the efflux speed is greater, as the motor will be allowed to rev higher as it isn't working as hard. Some believe that 3 blades are more efficient than 6 as there is less "blanking" of the blades whereas others feel that insufficient blades results in more "blowback".
I can't comment, as I just clag them together and go flying but your power figures look a lot healthier and you can always go back up to 6 blades in the future if you want, simply by purchasing a fresh impeller!

Oh Nigel! I have been browsing as you do and happened across a cheeky little thing called the Nigel Hawes Hawker Hunter, there was even a picture or 3? something you want to tell us about or do we have to wait and drool??

As for the 400 Hawk plans I was trying to get hold of, sucsess! Got then from the plans service and they were even nice enough to email me some scaned copies of the build instructions from the june 01 RCM&E, Oh how things have lept on in Electric RC since then! Obviously looking at putting a 400-480 sized brushless on 3s li-po in it, however, will I have the room and cooling inside the rear of the fuselage or will it be possible to put a motor on the back using a rear mounted motor bolted to the motor mount? would rather try and shoe horn the motor into the fuselage, so if you can recommend a motor suitable (from BRC of course) that would be great.

This of course will be next on the building board after my Mark 2 Eze-fan which is 1/2 built. However, if that cheeky little Hunter crops up in RCM&E as a free plan before the I start building the Hawk! well, the rest will be history. Over to you Nige!

Probably about the time I was in Iraq then on a little sunshine tour (again!) where the only RC aircraft were the Royal Artilleries Phoenix RPV'S!! and no, they wouldnt let me ave a go! do I feel a banana or wot!

Guess its time for a little research on the Hunter and see if I can find a plan for that. was it ever avail in Kit form like Tornado, Hawk, Tucano etc?

Nearly finished now, I am currently laminating some 1/64 lite ply to the balsa for the elevator as I have got some fairly major grunt pulling this thing and it adds very little weight.
Run out of covering hence the bit missing at the stablizer tip, going to to go through my bin tonight to scavenge some of the cut offs I have already tidied away...ooops

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/gallery/images.asp?sp=&v=1&UAbN=244

All going well, it will fly this weekend

Test flew this weekend. first flight I found my C of G to be to far rearward and had a very uneventful tail down circuit (good news that it didn't make the elevator over sensitive and was still very flyable just quite slow)
I moved my battery further forward and took off again. Wow, incredibly nippy and what a great sound. Did 6 or 7 fairly low passes to ring her out a bit and one slow one ( I didn't want anyone at my field thinking I could only fly fast) and as I flew her round for another approach the canopy shot off into the air and laned about 100foot away in the crops....typical.
My mate and I walked out about 6 feet apart and after ten minutes decided it wasn't worth worrying as it was only £5 for a new one. I turned around and there it was.
The reason for the departure though is that the fueselage join just behind the canopy had come apart (too much sanding maybe by me) which had let the left side move and break the bond of the strip holding my magnet catch. An easy repair but worth checking how accurate your joins are...hehehe ooops.

Anyway, the only really gutting thing about it was that the weather was great and I had really enjoyed the 5 minutes of flying it and couldn't anymore that day.

Great plan Nigel and superb model. Thanks again for all your help.

Well wheni say flying session over, I do sort of mean just for the Eze-Fan. I have been doing this long enough to know to take a spare or two with me and the Trust Wot 4 and foamy f15 came to the rescue.
It has definately got me gripped on EDF, just don't want to get into Bungies at all.

Finished pictures are now up at http://www.modelflying.co.uk/gallery/images.asp?sp=&v=1&UAbN=244

P.S. it will fly again this weekend, failing that I will be making sure I am about August 19th if that is offcially the British summer this year. Is it negotiable do you reckon? we are normally a saturday flying club so the 18th would be better for us ;)

Here we go, here is a link to pickies of my Eze-Fan, both old and new! has anyone apart from Nigel built a second one yet! Pranged the red one on mission one, due to elevator attachment problems (solarfilm to solarfilm dont stick!) so built a second in Tucano colours and attached all control surfaces with diamond tape, I defy that to detach itself!
www.modelflying.co.uk/gallery/image.asp?uin=748