Chipmunk undercarriage

Trev B

I love by chipmunk to bits, but there does seem to be a problem with the undercarriage  coming loose after a few landings which causes the model to nose over on landing. One of my club members has suggested putting epoxy in mounting hole to reduce movement, any other ideas. 

Advert

Hi Trevor,
          Not sure what you mean by coming lose? Do you mean excessive play back & forth of the legs them selfs?  I found the landing gear wire to be very soft, and even with good landings without any nose overs I find I have to constantly bend the legs forward again to get them just in front of the leading edge of the wing. It's become a routine now I do after every flight and I haven't had a nose over for ages with it since doing this, and the model has been flying for 14 months now.
 You could replace the torsion wire legs for a higher grade of piano wire, and if the holes in the blocks are excessively worn you could try bushing them out with nylon inserts, or as you friend has suggested filling them with epoxy and coating the leg in grease before pushing it in so the legs can be removed for maintanence after the epoxy has gone off
HTH's a little,
Walts.

Edited By Walts on 26/04/2009 15:58:10

After several attempts at re-inforcing the undercarriage, I arrived at this (non-scale) solution.
A piece of 1/4" ply was epoxied into place and this undercarriage screwed in place. I have managed several 'firm' arrivals since, with no problem at all.
Possibly, if the original mountings had been reinforced during the build, this would have been unnecessary!
Whilst I appreciate this solution will upset those who think that this is a scale model, I can only say that the modification has transformed my enjoyment of flying it!

• 4 months later...
Can anybody help with some pictures of how a four stroke was mounted in the cowl???

I have an ASP .70 sitting in the garage doing nothing ( don't we all  )so I was thinking that the BH Chip would be ideal.

Many thanks

Edited By Peter Smedley on 10/09/2009 12:06:57

• 3 weeks later...